Skip to main content

Latest Podcast Episode

Featured

Shutting One Door, Keeping others Open

UPDATED ON 8/20/21: Facebook, Patreon and Blog IG pages have been shutdown/discontinued As the COVID pandemic rages on and cons are even shutting down into 2021, it got me thinking on a drive home one night about how I'd feel with even coming back to blogging. When cons eventually do come back at some point. Truth be told, many of the posts and content I shared here could be transferred over to more discussions via my podcast CosplayBytes. I've been blogging my love for games, cons and cosplay for 7 years now and maybe it's time to say goodbye for now? My podcast has gotten me some incredible opportunities as a member of Press for conventions, and the rapid love I've had for streaming is also taking up a lot of time now. On top of multiple personal things on my end, I don't think I have the energy to keep this up even post COVID you know? The very first cosplay centered post I wrote was on Jessica Nigri's Deadpool, and since then it's spawned over 800 posts

Cosplay Showcase: Vanity Fox's Risty!

Photo by Elysium Entertainment
I'm starting to get into writing features on the cosplay that came out of Dragon*Con this past August! One such cosplay just not only blew me away, but completely surprised me in the sense that I had no idea this cosplayer would do an outfit from this anime. Here, I have the beautiful Casey Anne cosplaying as Risty from the anime Queen's Blade. Many of the characters from that anime are known for wearing battle outfits that are both crazy and revealing at the same time. Despite these two aspects, that didn't stop Casey from making one of the most epic cosplays I've seen from her collection. Of course altering it for the sake of modesty. I really like how red looks on her both in the armor and especially in the hair!

The armor was made with Worbla and EVA/Craft Foam consisting of wrist-cuffs, giant arm bands, and a singular leotard like suit with a large belt and breastplate. Fabric extends from behind and matches with the red/gold color scheme of the entire cosplay. This cape was cut carefully out of cotton and weathered to match how it looks on Risty, how cool is that? Casey's hair consists of 2 wigs purchased from Arda Wigs in order to get the shape she needed. For the shoes, she modified a pair of Crocs!

The mace as Casey's prop looks so incredible! The head was done with a combination of styrofoam and Worbla, the texture on the mace ball looks amazing especially thanks to the styrofoam mentioned above!  The ball was then coated with Wood Glue and Gesso in multiple layers. The spikes were made carefully using a snow cone base, this allowed the ball to be protected from travel/con damage. Lastly, the arm bands are laced with a white fur.

For Casey, Queen's Blade holds a special place in her heart having marathoned the entire series when she was going through some rough times, so for Risty the cosplay was a labor of love. In the past interview I did, I remember her telling me she was really proud of whatever latest outfit she created (that case being her updated Fran from Final Fantasy 12) and I have a pretty good feeling that she's super proud of where her skills took her to make Risty. You really should Casey, definitely gave me a big smile when I saw pictures of it :D. YOU ROCK GIRL!

Photo by FirstPerson Shooter
Photo by GeekPin Entertainment
Photo by AshB Images
Photo by David Ngo

To follow more of Casey Anne's awesome cosplays, check out her Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/CaseyAnneCosplay

For other places to follow Casey, Twitter and Instagram are also options:
https://twitter.com/xLadieLuck
http://instagram.com/xladieluck

What's Popular?