Skip to main content

Latest Podcast Episode

Featured

Shutting One Door, Keeping others Open

UPDATED ON 8/20/21: Facebook, Patreon and Blog IG pages have been shutdown/discontinued As the COVID pandemic rages on and cons are even shutting down into 2021, it got me thinking on a drive home one night about how I'd feel with even coming back to blogging. When cons eventually do come back at some point. Truth be told, many of the posts and content I shared here could be transferred over to more discussions via my podcast CosplayBytes. I've been blogging my love for games, cons and cosplay for 7 years now and maybe it's time to say goodbye for now? My podcast has gotten me some incredible opportunities as a member of Press for conventions, and the rapid love I've had for streaming is also taking up a lot of time now. On top of multiple personal things on my end, I don't think I have the energy to keep this up even post COVID you know? The very first cosplay centered post I wrote was on Jessica Nigri's Deadpool, and since then it's spawned over 800 posts

STRUCK FIRST: Blood Empress' DragonCon Lineup!


Struck First gives you a first look at a cosplay just as it's been debuted/had its first photoshoot. Cosplayers have been kind enough to let me have a first crack at analyzing the cosplay by providing me with brand new pictures.

Blood Empress is one of many cosplayers that easily gets me fangirling over any kind of outfit she makes. Even if the character being portrayed is one I have little to no knowledge about. DragonCon was one event that Christy was looking forward to immensely, and being a party convention she went and brought outfits that were certainly comfy to wear. Mainly for the late nights drinking and whatnot. Today I wanted to share a couple of these outfits, those being Savage Land Rogue and Ace from One Piece (this one being a gender-bend). Starting with Rogue, Christy went all out with the weathering effects here. Coming from the X-Men storyline of the same name, Rogue is shown here in a very tattered up version of her default costume. It looks as if a green bodysuit is the base with a yellow top over it that's again, tattered up in various places. Christy also has the X symbol sprayed on one side of her chest.

In addition, Christy has straps of yellow and green fabric on both arms as well as traveling up her full legs. The shoot was taken place outdoors and to further emphasize the savage nature, she went barefoot. The wig Christy is rocking is pretty much perfect for Rogue, mainly brown with that signature white area at the very top. Also seen in the photos is a giant scythe prop that was lent to her for the shoot. A green headband can be seen just underneath the wig as well. Oh and the smoke effects are superbly badass here guys!

Christy's second cosplay was a gender-bend of Ace from One Piece. From what I've seen of him in the anime/manga, Ace mainly has an open jacket and sailing around shirtless. So of course Christy had to improvise with a cute orange bra. Other elements of the cosplay include a brown belt complete with a buckle adorned with an A for Ace. A sheathed dagger can be seen on her hip as well. There also appears to be a blue pouch that's strapped to her leg. Black shorts make up the bottom of the cosplay. It's really about the many things going on up top.


For starters, Christy has Ace's name tattooed on her upper arm. There's also an armor brace on the other one and a wristband that's decorated with a clear orb. I imagine that means something as I once again have no knowledge of the character. Two necklaces are around Christy's neck, one of which is a simple pendant and the other being mainly made up of beads. The wig and hat are totally rad here as well. The way the wig is shaped with the 2 wefts on each side is totally awesome and the orange hat is decorated with beads similar to around her neck. There's also faces attached here that probably reference his pirate crew's symbol? Most of the photos for Ace are close up shots and show just how beautiful Christy is. Seriously I adore this girl so much and hopefully I'll get to meet her next year! Check out the other photos below!









All Rogue Photos by Rolando McFarlane
All Ace Photos by Wonderwall Visions

I will always have sweet things to say about Blood Empress and highly recommend you check out her FB page and Instagram for more cosplay pics and WIP's of her new outfits planned!

What's Popular?