Skip to main content

Latest Podcast Episode

Featured

Shutting One Door, Keeping others Open

UPDATED ON 8/20/21: Facebook, Patreon and Blog IG pages have been shutdown/discontinued As the COVID pandemic rages on and cons are even shutting down into 2021, it got me thinking on a drive home one night about how I'd feel with even coming back to blogging. When cons eventually do come back at some point. Truth be told, many of the posts and content I shared here could be transferred over to more discussions via my podcast CosplayBytes. I've been blogging my love for games, cons and cosplay for 7 years now and maybe it's time to say goodbye for now? My podcast has gotten me some incredible opportunities as a member of Press for conventions, and the rapid love I've had for streaming is also taking up a lot of time now. On top of multiple personal things on my end, I don't think I have the energy to keep this up even post COVID you know? The very first cosplay centered post I wrote was on Jessica Nigri's Deadpool, and since then it's spawned over 800 posts

STRUCK FIRST: Karlibra as Aqua!

Photo by Coslife
Struck First gives you a first look at a cosplay just as it's been debuted/had its first photoshoot. Cosplayers have been kind enough to let me have a first crack at analyzing the cosplay by providing me with brand new pictures.

It should be noted that whenever Karlibra makes a Kingdom Hearts cosplay, I proceed to lose my mind and fangirl a bunch. For Fanime this year, Karli crafted Aqua's default outfit from Birth By Sleep and I can't get over how gorgeous she looks in the photos. Similar to when I shared Vamplette's version a month or so ago, the costume setup is the same. For starters, Karli has small black shorts for the lower area and the leather like corset follows as you travel up the cosplay. This goes to just about her chest which is where purple chest piece comes in. Some of the pics give you a much closer look which shows a black trim on the edges of this. Of course you have the 2 pink fabric strands over this in a cross formation. The pendant is seen in a grey shade which to me gives off a vibe that it was made out of clay. Simply with how its texture looks to me. Light purple gloves with a white rectangle on the back make up her hand covers.

Photo by Topher Oriel
Covering her arms are long sleeves of white fabric that definitely have a wide hole insert which give off that flow like nature in some of the shots. Karli has one arm decorated with the sole armor piece that's used in game to transform Aqua into the armored version many of us are familiar with. I wouldn't be surprised if Worbla was the main material used in its construction. Hanging off the corset are the long fabric pieces of white and sky blue. Placed on her waist sides, I have to wonder if Karli had any issue walking around. I imagine it's only if she were running at the con XD.

Karli has long leather like heels covering her legs. At the bottom are the armor pieces which are placed on top of the shoe portion. This was probably not 100% comfortable to walk in as I'm looking at the photos while writing this. The keyblade she's wielding was I think purchased off an Etsy seller and has a stellar look to it. Positive that this is the keyblade you start out with for Aqua in the game. One of my other favorite parts of the cosplay has to be the wig. Purchased from Arda, the shade is just beyond perfect and I'm curious if it's the same style as the one I picked out for my Wolf gijinka!

Photo by David Ngo

The shots you'll see here are arguably some of the best I've seen. The end result look straight out of the intro sequences to Kingdom Hearts. Karli sure has some talented photographer friends and it makes me love the cosplay so much more. If these shots don't make you a fan of Karlibra, I don't know what will at this point <3


Photo by Coslife

Photo by NerdyPictures

Kingdom Hearts is definitely a series close to Karli's heart. With the 3rd entry finally having a half release date of 2018, I can't wait to see if she'll gather new ideas from it. I've got links to her most used sites in addition to her Patreon. Karlibra is truely one of my best friends in the cosplay world and it's been such a blast seeing her grow in both her cosplay life and personal life. Love this lady!

What's Popular?