Skip to main content

Latest Podcast Episode

Featured

Shutting One Door, Keeping others Open

UPDATED ON 8/20/21: Facebook, Patreon and Blog IG pages have been shutdown/discontinued As the COVID pandemic rages on and cons are even shutting down into 2021, it got me thinking on a drive home one night about how I'd feel with even coming back to blogging. When cons eventually do come back at some point. Truth be told, many of the posts and content I shared here could be transferred over to more discussions via my podcast CosplayBytes. I've been blogging my love for games, cons and cosplay for 7 years now and maybe it's time to say goodbye for now? My podcast has gotten me some incredible opportunities as a member of Press for conventions, and the rapid love I've had for streaming is also taking up a lot of time now. On top of multiple personal things on my end, I don't think I have the energy to keep this up even post COVID you know? The very first cosplay centered post I wrote was on Jessica Nigri's Deadpool, and since then it's spawned over 800 posts

Game Review: Pokemon Sun/Moon


Check out my Review on Pokemon X/Y here!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The last time I ate up a mainline Pokemon game this bad was when X/Y were released as the first for the Nintendo 3DS (check out my review for that here!). To coincide with the franchise's 20th anniversary, Pokemon Sun and Moon were looking to shake up the tried and true formula that many of us have been used to since the originals were released back in 1996. The premise of the game involves you being a new kid having just moved to the wonderful region of Alola (all the way from Kanto might I add), and you're soon caught up in embarking on the "Island Challenge". Gone are the typical 8 gym leaders and insert what's known as Trial Captains and Totem Pokemon. The region of Alola is made up of 4 key islands and the inspiration from real world Hawaii is definitely apparent here. Coming along on your adventure is the always bright and eager Hau and the mysterious Lillie as she hopes to learn more about a Pokemon she "rescued" known as Cosmog.

Each of the islands have a different set number of Trial Captains and much like the gym leaders, they have their own specific type they specialize in. After you complete their challenge which varies (defeat "x" amount of Pokemon, take pictures of ghosts) you then participate in a battle with them and what's known as a Totem Pokemon. These creatures are mainly related to the type that the island challenge is around and are beefed up in a particular stat. Upon completion of the trial, you get rewarded with a Z-Crystal which is also a new addition to this entry. When you start the game, you're rewarded with a Z-Bracelet which you use to activate crystals that certain Pokemon can hold responding to their types. Special Pokemon like your starters have a crystal of their own. All these allow for a super powerful move to be used and when they are, it can't be used for the rest of the battle.

Each island in Alola has a certain number of trials and once they're completed, you fight in a designated Grand Trial with the Kahuna. These are your typical trainer battles as well. Getting back to the Z-Moves, every type in the game (as far as I know/have) is represented with their own crystal. When this concept was announced, I was skeptical since these replaced X/Y's Mega Evolutions and those I barely used. With Z-Moves, I used those as a last resort when I found myself close to losing. Speaking of which, I lost once during a Totem Pokemon fight and 4 times against the Elite Four.

That alone should give you an idea at the difficulty however you get the infamous EXP Share right at the beginning and I found myself barely touching certain guys cause they were leveling up like crazy. Eventually I turned it off to level up my guys traditionally that is until I started wiping on the Elite Four multiple times. So take it as you will but I think longtime fans and newcomers will find some challenge and access to "hand holding" elements like EXP Share (again, you can turn it off if you wish). Another rad twist is what's known as Alola Forms. The setting itself has radical weather changes which affects certain Pokemon, mainly ones from the first generation. For example, Sandshrew and Vulpix along with their evolutions turn into full on Ice types and Raichu becomes a dual Fairy/Electric mouse surfing on its tail.


I'll probably find out if my Pikachu from the Virtual Console will be able to transform into the Alola Raichu once compatibility opens up. Pokemon Bank will have its own access to the game early next year but so far I've been delighted with the creatures I've caught! There's of course your starter which varies from Rowlet, Litten or Popplio. Rockruff is an adorable little puppy that evolves in different ways depending on your version. Speaking of which, Pokemon Sun and Moon have differences much like all the mainline games do from one another but take that a step further. I played through Moon which operates on a game time that's 12 hours ahead of IRL time. So it threw me for a loop the first time I was playing at night time where I lived and that the game showed day time. The pokemon themselves appear differently. Ratatas and Raticates were popping up often in their Alola forms no less!

As far as key teams/players go, you're left with the goofy Team Skull and the enigmatic Aether Foundation. I won't go into spoiler territory for the story but it was definitely heartfelt as I progressed. I really felt that the friendship you formed with companions Hau and Lillie were genuine, also kinda hoped you'd date the latter since it seemed like she was so into you <3. As I mentioned Alola definitely has its cues from Hawaii so it's very vibrant and the music is fitting for the areas. In addition the battle music is very upbeat which got me going at some points.

From hunting the enigmatic Ultra Beasts to drinking flavored treats at the Pokemon Center, Sun/Moon is packed with neat little things to grow closer to your Pokemon. Pokemon Refresh allowed you to be affectionate to your team through petting, grooming, and even healing status effects. Along with feeding them Poke Beans to raise their affection and fullness. There's also Festival Plaza which I didn't really use a lot at the time of this writing so I'm not really going to mention too much of it. Just know that there's a plethora of online capabilities that you can enjoy. Along with access to the GTS and Wonder Trade which make a return.




Pokemon Sun/Moon was released globally on November 19th 2016. At the time of this writing it'll have been a little over a week since then. So yea I cleared this thing pretty fast. Probably a little over 30 hours was put into this as well. So now I'm training some extra Pokemon that interested me along with waiting for Pokemon Bank's update to go through. Pokemon Sun/Moon was a solid celebration to what makes Pokemon so great and why it's affected us the way it had.
Should you Play this Game?
Yes! Pokemon Sun and Moon definitely changed the formula and gave a bright new region to explore. New Pokemon and Alola forms add in a strong jolt to keep the franchise going.

What's Popular?