Skip to main content

Latest Podcast Episode

Featured

Shutting One Door, Keeping others Open

UPDATED ON 8/20/21: Facebook, Patreon and Blog IG pages have been shutdown/discontinued As the COVID pandemic rages on and cons are even shutting down into 2021, it got me thinking on a drive home one night about how I'd feel with even coming back to blogging. When cons eventually do come back at some point. Truth be told, many of the posts and content I shared here could be transferred over to more discussions via my podcast CosplayBytes. I've been blogging my love for games, cons and cosplay for 7 years now and maybe it's time to say goodbye for now? My podcast has gotten me some incredible opportunities as a member of Press for conventions, and the rapid love I've had for streaming is also taking up a lot of time now. On top of multiple personal things on my end, I don't think I have the energy to keep this up even post COVID you know? The very first cosplay centered post I wrote was on Jessica Nigri's Deadpool, and since then it's spawned over 800 posts

Cosplayer Interview: Jawjarrose!

Photo by Toby Plumb
Instagram's definitely become the place where I've formed many friendships from all over globe. All through cosplay, and I've got another wonderful individual for you guys today. In interview form to make it even more exciting! Meet Jawjarrose, a cosplayer based over in Australia and I definitely can see some awesome potential as she slowly dips her feet more into creating cosplays from scratch! Her first taste dates back to 2012 when she along with several of her close friends and former boyfriend bought outfits resembling the Vocaloids. Hatsune Miku was a part of this collection but Jawjarrose portrayed Kagamine Rin. Since that little event, she grew to love the hobby and made her first cosplay a few years later. Her New 52 Wonder Woman which you can see above was mainly brought out to cosplay gatherings and photoshoots. She actually wouldn't have her first taste of convention going until this past weekend at Supanova in Brisbane. A lot of Aussie cosplayers I'm familiar with attended that event and Georgia was able to meet some cosplayers she'd been following for awhile!

Getting into this kind of stuff didn't blossom until about 8 years ago when she asked her mom about Doctor Who and fell in love with it ever since. The episode that aired at that time was a re-run featuring the 9th doctor! She also admits to gravitating to people who have gotten into other aspects like trading cards, gaming and comics! It helps that her younger siblings enjoy Doctor Who about as much as she does so there's that common ground aspect. You'll learn in this interview the process that went into making Wonder Woman not to mention her debut of Goddess Enchantress from the recent Suicide Squad movie.

Photo by RedFoxx Photography
Other tidbits of info include Georgia's upcoming cosplay plans, her view on cosplay as it gains more popularity and even mentions of some cosplayers she's followed! She is also hoping to expand into the world of YouTube with wig tutorials, and other cosplay related topics. I can tell she enjoyed answering the questions I had for her so I hope you all can enjoy this piece as well!
----------------------------------------------------------
What got you into cosplay and how long have you been doing it?
It was probably around November 2012, my best friend at the time was talking about cosplay and introduced me to Vocaloids. She was putting together her first cosplay of Megurine Luka. My close friend group decided to all cosplay together. I was Kagamine Rin and my then boyfriend was Kagamine Len. We also had Hatsune Miku and Kaito. Most of our costume was bought of eBay but thinking back to it the quality was pretty decent for pre-made costumes, they were custom made to fit our needs and I got a really nice quality wig from eBay. I can’t for the life of me find any photos any more and I don't talk to most of the people in the group :( but I remember other Vocaloid cosplayers who told us that we were the best Rin and Len.
Which cosplay was the first you ever created?
The first cosplay I've ever made by hand is my new 52 Wonder Woman in October/November of 2015.
Thinking back to the last convention you were at, did you enjoy it?
The last convention i attended was the Supanova Pop Culture Expo in Brisbane. i competed in my first cosplay contest! Which is definitely the highlight of the convention. but I also had a few exciting things happen; I had many photos taken including a few for the career mail(newspaper) with my batman. I ran into a few of my favorite cosplayers including Infamous Harley Quinn, SkyBrown Cosplay, Banshee Bitch and Jajutsu
What cosplay(s) did you bring to this convention?
I skipped Friday to finish my Goddess Enchantress for Saturday (I hope to never leave a cosplay so last minute it really stressed me out) and Sunday I wore my new 52 Wonder Woman with my Justice League group in the competition
What is your favorite cosplay you’ve made so far?
I wish I had made more but I think because of the stress I caused myself with enchantress I prefer my Wonder Woman. But I adored the feedback I got on my enchantress.
What got you into being a geek?
I remember in 2008 I asked my mum what Doctor Who was, and with her reply “some dumb show that was on when I was a kid” I watched one episode (a rerun of Christopher Eccleston) and have been hooked ever since! I also gravitate towards other people who introduce me to geeky content such as Magic the Gathering, console gaming and comics.
Do you have any other members of your family who are into what you enjoy? Or are you at present the only “geek” in the family?
My two sisters are less geeky but they do enjoy Doctor Who just as much as me and watch different series. We also grew up with a few Gameboys/Gameboy Colors playing some of the original Pokémon games. We had a shared DS Lite and eventually a Wii.
Remembering our chats I think you said you were looking into doing more video game cosplays? Cause at the moment you’ve done a few comic book characters as well as ones from films like Merida from Brave!
I think I’d love to make an assassin from Assassins Creed! There are so many cosplays I would love to create; I have a Pokémon planned for next year, maybe some Disney princesses. Planning to dabble in a bit of marvel with Jane Thor. I just need to collect all my ideas and stick to one or two to build at a time XD I always end up jumping around on my cosplay wish list as to that I’m feeling and the time, money I have for the cosplay.  
So I happened to stumble upon your work after following each other on Instagram for a short while. The one cosplay that drew me to you was your New 52 Wonder Woman you made not too long ago! You’ve expressed a big love for the character wanting to do more outfits of her. What was it like creating this version though? Any difficulties?
This version of her was the one I was drawn to the most because of the silver armor and blue boots, less stars. When I was making it I was trying to figure out how to get the lines on her bodice. I was going to try and sew one fabric on to the other like a patch but after talking to my mum who has been sewing for as long as I can remember. She suggested that I sew the fabric to it to get seams that would create the diagonal lines. We patterned the bodice and it was better them I could've imagined. The boots and wonder pants were challenging too. If you look at my original version I have made new boots after having drama with the first ones. The lining fabric was sewn twisted so it was a challenge to get it on. I loved making the armor and have only replaced the belt.  I was actually thinking about hanging up wonder woman as I thought I had worn her enough but after Supanova I’m thinking ill have to make a v2 in the near future.
I’ve also learned that one of your favorite parts of making cosplays is the wig aspect. You’ve even shown me a couple of wigs that you’re working on/styling. I also think you’re the first cosplayer who’s expressed loving wigs the most. Why is that?
I adore being able to change my hair so quickly. But also I consider myself a creative person and trying different techniques really excites me, same reason I loved making my foam armor for Wonder Woman, I just haven't done it before and it feels good to make something work when you haven't got experience with it. I check it off my list as something I know I can do for next time. I’m currently experimenting with creating wefts from loose hair and I want to explore dying synthetic wigs, hopefully track down a reliable way to lighten them too. I want to learn more and be doing more than just cutting and styling.
One other thing you’re looking into doing soon is creating a YouTube channel. Wig tutorials were something you planned on making videos about. What other content do you plan on populating the channel with?
I have so many things I’d love to film, definitely going to give reviews on all different on line wig stores as I grow my collection I insure I try new sellers. I think it would be helpful as it would be a consistent opinion from one person instead of jumping around to different people who have different standards for quality. I would love to make build videos just a time-lapse of different costumes with a voiceover explaining what I’m doing. But I need to figure out how to record that so I might have explanation videos that combine short videos and progress pictures to help others understand my processes and hopefully inspire them to try it or help them solve their cosplay problem. I plan on launching my channel with a video explaining what I want to post and get out of YouTube and how I got into cosplay like a story time :)
What do you think about cosplay as it is now hitting the mainstream?
i don't think it will ever be as normalized as sports, but in the pop culture side I think it fantastic that people are cosplaying more. It’s about having fun and being creative and I have met a lot of really good friends that I hope to keep the rest of my life. It’s a great way to instantly know that you have a common interest and I’ve found most of the community to be very loving and supportive of each other. I believe the world can always use more love. People need to come together instead of drawing differences.
Do you have any upcoming cosplays for this year that you’re able to share?
Yes! I know for sure I will have a Christmas Harley Quinn ready in about a month. I’m having a local event to meet more cosplayers on the area and I’m determined to create more costumes while I’m not as busy studying. I also hope to finish my Kim Possible and Panty from Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt.
Do you imagine cosplaying being a part of your life within the next 5 years and do you hope to evolve your skill set?
I don’t think I’ll ever stop making cosplay. I hope to try different products and processes as much as I can. I think bringing LED’s into my future cosplay would really bring it to the next level. But I have a lot to learn with just basic techniques, about fabrics and construction. I hope to always improve from my last costume.
Photo by Toby Plumb
What’s a day in the life of Jawjarrose? Where did that name come from?
My everyday life consists of a fantastic retail job that I find very satisfying, studying multimedia, marketing major visual communication minor at university and hopefully going to the gym to lift some weight. I have a brilliant relationship and a few close friends that listen to all my crazy ideas and support my cosplay. The name I spent about 3 days trying to decide on, as I know it will become my brand so I didn't want to not love it in a few months, years. It’s pretty simple how I created it, it is my real name but with different spelling put into one word.
Any upcoming game releases you’re looking forward to?
I don't follow new games too much; I leave that mostly to my boyfriend. But I recently found out that Trackmania is coming to the PlayStation VR which I think will be absolutely nuts! The game is fast paced and tries to mimic how a real race car would respond to speed and different surfaces while having elaborate out of this world tracks.
Do you have a favorite convention?

It would probably have to be the Brisbane Supanova Pop Culture Expo, it was my first convention and we don't get very many around in Australia unless you're able to travel interstate.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That does it for today's Interview! I can't thank Georgia enough for giving me the opportunity to do this with her. I highly recommend checking out her work if by reading this you've grown interested. You can follow Georgia on the following pages! :Dhttps://www.facebook.com/jawjarrose/https://www.instagram.com/jawjarrose/

What's Popular?