Skip to main content

Latest Podcast Episode

Featured

Shutting One Door, Keeping others Open

UPDATED ON 8/20/21: Facebook, Patreon and Blog IG pages have been shutdown/discontinued As the COVID pandemic rages on and cons are even shutting down into 2021, it got me thinking on a drive home one night about how I'd feel with even coming back to blogging. When cons eventually do come back at some point. Truth be told, many of the posts and content I shared here could be transferred over to more discussions via my podcast CosplayBytes. I've been blogging my love for games, cons and cosplay for 7 years now and maybe it's time to say goodbye for now? My podcast has gotten me some incredible opportunities as a member of Press for conventions, and the rapid love I've had for streaming is also taking up a lot of time now. On top of multiple personal things on my end, I don't think I have the energy to keep this up even post COVID you know? The very first cosplay centered post I wrote was on Jessica Nigri's Deadpool, and since then it's spawned over 800 posts

Fan Interview: Italktogh0sts/GayforNigri!


As I've mentioned numerous times on here, getting into cosplay has allowed me to make some of the greatest friends ever. Especially through a common love/admiration for Jessica Nigri, some people have become like family to me. One such person is Jess who runs one of the many Nigri fan pages on Instagram known as "GayforNigri". Also known as Italktogh0sts, Jess is based in England and found out about cosplay through visiting sites like Tumblr. After watching some of Jessica's Mail Monday videos, that gave her a pretty solid reason to check out her cosplay work and subsequently fall in love with her so to speak. I mean, the name GayforNigri is pretty self explanatory right? When she was younger, Jess grew up around sci-fi novels and some of the early games like Doom and Duke Nukem. In a way she was always a proud geek at heart. She also states that she loves finding fandoms to dive into.

Meeting Jessica in person was pretty huge for Jess. She details how much of a caring person she is and how if people could just look past the looks, they'd see how genuine of a person Jessica is. With that statement, I couldn't agree more. Aside from the fan page, Jess herself has also dabbled in several cosplays from such things like The Fifth Element, Sword Art Online, and League of Legends (which is an upcoming outfit from her). I also know she dabbles in several crafting hobbies and even runs Etsy stores selling some of her nerdy jewelry!

Other things you'll learn about Jess include how she feels about cosplay overall as it continues to grow in popularity, as well as her favorite part about cosplay as a whole. You'll get an insight as to what game she's looking forward to the most not to mention some of her top cons to visit in the US! Enjoy the interview guys!
-----------------------------------------------------
How did you discover cosplay?
I discovered cosplay through Tumblr, believe it or not. I used to always want to dress up like Lara Croft or Buffy so knowing there is a community out there that thrived on making and wearing costumes was amazing to me. I didn't fully find out about cosplay until 2013. I had seen it on various websites before then but it wasn't until that year that I became immersed in cosplay.
What got you into being a geek?
From a very early age I've always been into the culture. Maybes it's because I grew up around SciFi shows and films with my parents. I used to play Doom & Duke Nukem before I was six. I just love being a geek, whether its films, games, anime etc. I always find a fandom to obsess over.
Do you have any other members of your family who are into what you enjoy? Or are you at present the only “geek” in the family?
I have a few relatives who are into "geeky" culture. I have cousins who love Anime and my Dad loves to Game a lot too.
You’re mainly known--besides from your own Cosplay page—as the admin for the fan-page GayforNigri on Instagram. How did you discover Jessica Nigri’s work?
I found Jessica on Youtube when I was watching Mail Vlogs and her Mail Monday came up, the one with the Big Super Sonico and then I binged watched whatever was on her channel and then I looked up her cosplays and just instantly fell in love with her. It's how I got the name GayForNigri, because I literally would turn gay for this woman.
What has it been like running that fan-page?
It's weird and awesome all at the same time, I love that I'm supporting someone I look up too and through Jessica, I've met some awesome people in my life who are now my friends and running this page can be a little bit time consuming too. I'm always on the look out for new photos and ones that hardly ever get posted. Sometimes Jess herself will send photos for me to use. I'm so grateful for that. Sometimes I get followers tell me its their favorite fan-pages out of all them. I think I'm currently third if you have to rank them by followers. Nigrination of course being Top Fan-page. I have to admit, I was inspired by Nigrination.
You also managed to meet her a few times at MCM Expo in London. What was that experience like?
It was amazing. I was so nervous but she was so nice and caring and she gives the best hugs. The second time I hung out with Jessica and it was probably one of the best days of my life. We had so much fun. People who hate on her, don't know her in real life and I think if they saw past her cleavage they would actually like her as a person.
What is it about Jessica that attracts you to her?
She's strong, successful, beautiful, caring, thankful, funny.. She's just someone that I love being friends with and she always remembers small details about people and that’s adorable.
Through following her work and many other cosplayers, you too have gotten into the hobby yourself!  Which cosplay was the first you ever created?
My first cosplay was the McDonalds Girl from the film The Fifth Element but my anxiety stopped me from wearing it at a con and I just really want to remake it. After that I cosplayed Enid from Ghost World, Casual Super Sonico and recently Gun Gale Kirito. I'm also in the middle of working on a Genderbend Gentleman Gnar from League of Legends.
What is your favorite cosplay you’ve made so far?
Gnar as I made the ears from scratch and was so pleased with them. I would say Kirito but I didn't make that and I enjoyed walking around MCM wearing White Shirt Casual Sonico.
What about cosplay do you love?
Mostly the photography. Cosplay really comes to life when you’re so involved with a character and you get to show it through photos. I love the process of making cosplays too, I'm a crafty person and it's very enjoyable even if we do get frustrated when things don't go our way.
Any other personal favorite cosplayers you follow?
I adore Ani-Mia, she's such a positive person in the community. I also love VampyBitMe, Miyuki, SuperMaryFace, Stella Chu, Ryan Brandt, Macy Rose, Amie Lynn, LeeAnna Vamp aaaaaah there are so many cosplayers. Haha
What do you think about cosplay as it is now hitting the mainstream?
I think it's awesome, there are people who still don't understand cosplay and think its "sad" but It's so much fun and everyone loves to wear fun costumes, life is too short to not enjoy it. So getcho Batman mask on and have some fun.
Do you have any upcoming cosplays for this year that you’re able to share?
I'm hoping to do either Arkham Knight Harley Quinn or a New 52 Comic Book version of her. As well as Gnar and Chloe from Life is Strange.
Do you imagine cosplaying being a part of your life within the next 5 years and do you hope to evolve your skill set?
I hope cosplay is still apart of my life in the next five years, whether it be still going to cons or making props/costumes (which is something I want to get into eventually) for others or myself. I don't see cosplay stopping anytime soon.
What’s a day in the life of Italktoghosts? Where did that name come from?
I'm a social media addict so the first thing I do when I wake up is check everything, I'll potter around the house and clean up or make food, write a blog post if I have anything to share, catch up on tv shows, play a few games, tweet a lot, read a book then I'll search for a image of Jessica Nigri for the Instagram page and I'll job hunt too until my favorite streamers are on Twitch and I'll hang out in one of there chats, usually DizzyKittens. My username just sounded cool when I made it, I'm a fan of horror films and this one stuck with me. It's a great conversation starter online
Any upcoming game releases you’re looking forward to?
Well since Uncharted 4, Battleborn and Overwatch have been released.  I'm really looking forward to the new Deus Ex Mankind Divided, Dishonored 2 & Final Fantasy XV. I think most of the other games are coming out next year!
Do you have a favorite convention?
MCM in London by far is my favorite convention in the UK.

If you were able to go to any convention in the US, which one would you choose?
Oh god, all of them? SDCC being the main one, maybes Amazing Arizona Comic Con & Anime Expo as the main three I would like to visit.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This was definitely an interview that was a long time coming and I can't thank Jess enough for not only doing this with me, but for also being an incredible friend and showing me lots of love and support ^_^. If you guys want to follow Jess and her pages, check out these links!https://www.facebook.com/italktogh0sts
https://twitter.com/italktogh0sts
https://www.instagram.com/italktogh0sts/
https://www.instagram.com/gayfornigri/
http://italktogh0sts.blogspot.co.uk/
https://www.twitch.tv/italktogh0sts

What's Popular?