Skip to main content

Latest Podcast Episode

Featured

Shutting One Door, Keeping others Open

UPDATED ON 8/20/21: Facebook, Patreon and Blog IG pages have been shutdown/discontinued As the COVID pandemic rages on and cons are even shutting down into 2021, it got me thinking on a drive home one night about how I'd feel with even coming back to blogging. When cons eventually do come back at some point. Truth be told, many of the posts and content I shared here could be transferred over to more discussions via my podcast CosplayBytes. I've been blogging my love for games, cons and cosplay for 7 years now and maybe it's time to say goodbye for now? My podcast has gotten me some incredible opportunities as a member of Press for conventions, and the rapid love I've had for streaming is also taking up a lot of time now. On top of multiple personal things on my end, I don't think I have the energy to keep this up even post COVID you know? The very first cosplay centered post I wrote was on Jessica Nigri's Deadpool, and since then it's spawned over 800 posts

Cosplayer Interview: Blood Empress!

Photo by Surfside Images
If you came across the name Blood Empress, you might first think that it's a super odd name for a cosplay handle. Second, you might think the person behind it would be somewhat into dark things. I'm happy to say that it's all just a front to be super cool, least that's what she told me. I'm happy to have for you guys an interview today with Blood Empress and it's great that I was able to get more insight into her. Christy (real name), always enjoyed dressing up as her favorite characters when she was younger which even led her to making comic book stories back in school. Anime Expo 2013 marked her first con and she cosplayed as Athena from the anime Saint Seiya, everything else cosplay wise just came off and she was hooked. 

Christy thinks she was born into this culture. Dreaming of having boyfriends like Link, Sonic and even Master Chief growing up and getting to watch Spirited Away. Though that movie didn't last too long as it creeped out her mom! With many siblings into video games and Pokemon, Christy thinks she wouldn't say they're totally enamored in being a geek yet. She also goes into how her Angela cosplay was made along with how the Death Note group was set up (in which she portrayed Misa as you see above)! If you went to her page, one thing you'll notice is that Blood Empress has a love for making armor and props. She goes into that more saying how she loves patterning them out and figuring how everything fits/looks.

Photo by Wonderwall Visions
Other things you'll learn about Blood Empress include her upcoming cosplay slate, games she's been obsessed with, and her thoughts on cosplay as it gains more popularity in this timeframe. Her favorite prop is the hammer used by Nora from RWBY and you'll understand why that is! Insights into her favorite cosplays she's made along with certain ones picked out by me! I really loved the answers she gave (when I get answers back that make the document 5+ pages that makes me happy :D) so I hope you all feel the same!
------------------------------------------------
What got you into cosplay and how long have you been doing it?
         I always loved dressing up and pretending to be some of my favorite characters when I was a little girl. I would even make little comic books with stories when I was in elementary school! Ever since I heard of comic con I wanted to go but I never had a ride and when I was finally able to drive either nobody wanted to join or tickets started getting difficult to get. Finally I got to attend Anime Expo in 2013 thanks to an ex-boyfriend who went every year. Anime expo was like love at first sight for me, I fell in love with it all! From the art, to the nerdy merchandise, and most of all the talented cosplayers that were there.
Which cosplay was the first you ever created?
         While planning for Anime expo 2013 I couldn’t decide on what character to do. I remember Hawkgirl was the first to pop into my head since I’ve always loved that character so much but alas there was no way I could come up with that especially back when nobody really made cosplay tutorials lol. Then Misa from Death note came to mind, a Sailor Scout, and a few others but I ended up choosing Athena from the anime Saint Seiya! I immediately went to the nearest craft store/home depot bought supplies and went to work!
Thinking back to the last convention you were at, did you enjoy it? What cosplay(s) did you bring to this convention?
         Last con I was at was Titan con I believe the name of it was. It was a fairly small con but I had so much fun! I went as Sasuke Uchiha from Naruto Shippuden and I met up with so many of my cosplay friends and took photos with talented people, not to mention the food I ate after was pretty amazing! Haha!
Photo by Topher Oriel
What is your favorite cosplay you’ve made so far?
         I have a few favorite cosplays so far and one is definitely Angela! I put so much time and effort into that cosplay in only one month (which I am so proud of) and I think the end result looks pretty sweet plus I get to look badass! Another one is definitely Caitlyn from League of Legends just because it was my first sewing project and I got to learn so much from it like drafting my own pattern. I may also be adding another cosplay to my favorites once I finish Lightning, she’s been a cosplay dream of mine for a long time and finally get to put everything I learned to the test so wish me luck!
What got you into being a geek?
         I’m not too sure how to answer this because I feel like I was just born a nerd lmao. Grew up dreaming of having a husbando like Link, Sonic the Hedgehog, or Master Chief from Halo (Not even kidding). I even remember I was at the swap meet with my grandma and someone was selling Spirited Away, I still remember to this day that I instantly gravitated to it and my grandma ended up buying it for me. I kid you not I watched that every single day and no face would creep out my mom so she got rid of it. It sucked but once I got older I discovered the rest of the Studio Ghibli films and once more No Face was haunting my mom for good this time lol
Do you have any other members of your family who are into what you enjoy? Or are you at present the only “geek” in the family?
         My 2 brothers play video games and younger siblings are into Pokémon but I could not classify them as a “geek” or a “nerd”. Currently it’s just me and even though it took my family awhile to adjust to my passion for cosplay, they are way more open to it now.
Is there a favorite media that you tend to cosplay the most from? Willing to guess that anime holds a special place in your heart!
         Honestly, I have so many favorites that I have yet to cosplay. I love anime and yet I feel like I don’t have enough anime cosplays. I have never cosplayed anyone from my top favorite animes and it makes me sad, I need to change that in the near future!
Photo by More Cosplay
Your Angela cosplay from Spawn was what drew me to your work after our mutual buddy Karli shared a group cosplay you did together! I believe that was a Death Note group and you portrayed Misa? What was it like creating Angela? The armor looked so insane and epic!
         Yes! Well like I said before Angela is definitely one of my favorites, I have infinite love for that cosplay and so happy so many people love it. I usually do not cosplay characters unless I know them but with Angela I had no idea what her story was, I knew the character’s name and could identify her if someone cosplayed her but that was the extent. Some friends invited me to join their Asgardian group and everyone who I knew was taken so I picked Angela and was so nervous because of the fact that I knew nothing about her! I did my research and after I cosplayed her at Comikaze I read her comics and instant love for the character, her story, and who she was!!
Your Rei from Evangelion is also super freaking cute! Did you have the suit commissioned? What was it like wearing it? I imagine the type of fabric made it a little bit hot right?
         I commissioned that cosplay right after I made Athena and I was so excited because NGE is one of my all-time favorites but that suit is not fun to wear! I love the look, how it photographs, and the way it was made fits my body perfect BUT LATEX!!! I’ve even made the mistake of wearing in July for Anime Expo…I was a walking disgusting sweat bag. Cleaned that thing and thought I locked it away for life but recently started wearing it again for shoots. Not sure if I will be bringing it to cons because I hate wearing for long periods of time.
By looking at your page, you state that armor cosplays and props are among your favorite to make. Some of your cosplays like Caitlyn and Red Sonja are strong enforcers of that statement! What about armor and props do you enjoy?
         I don’t know! I guess it is just that most of it comes easy to me. I love figuring out and patterning how to make weapons and how to make them extra light or how exactly to make armor to fit my body perfectly and wearable! It is such a stress reliever for me and to turn simple EVA mats or pink insulation foam into these awesome works of art! I am still not perfect though I am still learning on how to strap things properly, it has always been such a struggle for me but ya live and ya learn through trial and error.
Photo by David Ngo
Do you have a personal favorite prop you’ve made and why?
         Probably the hammer I made for Nora Valkyrie from RWBY. Literally looked at that thing like how in the heck do I make that? I even searched online and didn’t see any helpful tutorials and could not commission it because they were all way too small for my taste so I free handed it! Bought a big wooden poll for the handle, used a kind of EVA foam, mailing tubes, hot glue, and craft foam. It was easily under $50.00 to make and it was oh so light so I was free to bang people in the head and yell BOOP all day long!
What do you think about cosplay as it is now hitting the mainstream?
         I think it is great that people are finally seeing nerds as cool too and people are not seeing it as weird thing anymore. I remember I was walking to a con one year and I had to park kind of far, and on top of that I went by myself because I had no friends who wanted to go. I was walking in cosplay to the con and people were yelling out mean things out of their car and someone even felt the need to throw their drink at me (Luckily their aim was horrible) but I always look back to that moment because at that moment in time I wanted to run back to my car and never cosplay again but I kept walking forward and had the best time and met awesome people. I know even before I started cosplaying it was even worse for cosplayers, people can be so cruel towards things they do not understand and I feel that now people are opening their eyes a little bit more.
Do you have any upcoming cosplays for this year that you’re able to share?
         SO MANY!!! Definitely Lighting, D.Va from Overwatch, Super Sonico, Itachi from Naruto, and Kaneki from Tokyo Ghoul. I have a lot of other cosplays I would love to do but not in the works yet so can’t promise anything other than the ones I have already listed!
Do you imagine cosplaying being a part of your life within the next 5 years and do you hope to evolve your skill set?
         At this point in time I do not see myself without cosplay anymore it has become a part of me and who I am. I love making characters/ideas come to life. I can’t really say who or what I will be doing in 5 years but even if cosplay turns into designing or something else I know I will still be doing what I love and this is crafting and creating!
Photo by Nels
What’s a day in the life of Blood Empress? Where did that name come from?
         I currently work at a university so I wake up at 6am every morning to be out the door at 7am and work until 5pm/6pm every day of the week. Cosplay does not pay for itself. I still have a few classes to take before finally done with school but I am almost there to getting my Bachelor’s degree in Business Marketing! I usually craft at night or on weekends so my time is very limited, hoping it clears up once school is over James
         As far as my cosplay name I just came up with it. I am horrible with coming up with usernames and somehow I came up with Blood Empress and that was history. I know the name sounds kind of creepy but I promise I am a super nice, happy, and giggly person! The name is all a front for me trying to be badass and cool lol
Any upcoming game releases you’re looking forward to?
         I was so pumped for Overwatch and that has consumer my life even though I suck at it since not used to playing on a console but still so fun! Now it is Pokémon Sun and Moon and a new Monster Hunter I heard for DS?!!!
Do you have a favorite convention?
         It WAS Anime Expo but it has become so crowded it is hard to enjoy, so now it is WonderCon but I am flying out to Dragon Con with a few friends later this year and I have a feeling that will be my new fav!
If you could live in one anime world, which would you choose?

SUCH A DIFFICULT QUESTION! Gundam...NO CODE GEASS..wait no…One piece would be so cool! Sailing the ocean with my crew, making fun everlasting memories, eating Sanji’s amazing food, fighting marines/other pirates together, and looking for the one piece! That would be the life!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And there you have it guys! I hope you enjoyed reading these responses as much as I did when I first got them! Like many other cosplayers I've become friends with on the West Coast, I hope I get to meet Blood Empress one day. Really looking forward to her upcoming outfits and I highly recommend you check out her stuff! Links to her pages are down below, thanks everyone for reading and thank you so so much Christy for letting me interview you <3

What's Popular?