Skip to main content

Latest Podcast Episode

Featured

Shutting One Door, Keeping others Open

UPDATED ON 8/20/21: Facebook, Patreon and Blog IG pages have been shutdown/discontinued As the COVID pandemic rages on and cons are even shutting down into 2021, it got me thinking on a drive home one night about how I'd feel with even coming back to blogging. When cons eventually do come back at some point. Truth be told, many of the posts and content I shared here could be transferred over to more discussions via my podcast CosplayBytes. I've been blogging my love for games, cons and cosplay for 7 years now and maybe it's time to say goodbye for now? My podcast has gotten me some incredible opportunities as a member of Press for conventions, and the rapid love I've had for streaming is also taking up a lot of time now. On top of multiple personal things on my end, I don't think I have the energy to keep this up even post COVID you know? The very first cosplay centered post I wrote was on Jessica Nigri's Deadpool, and since then it's spawned over 800 posts

Cosplay Feature: Joanna Mari's Catwoman!

Photo by Ron Gejon Photography
I got really excited when I saw Joanna Mari announce she was making a Catwoman cosplay for NYCC last year. While I'm sad I wasn't able to meet her, the photos that came out of this shoot were simply amazing. Plus the progress photos were just so awesome that it just gave me more excitement for it to be finished. It doesn't seem like Joanna went for a specific look for Selina Kyle but rather formed up her own version. There are some parts that, for me, reference past looks that Catwoman has been seen in. For example, there are stitch lines going up the center of the suit. It might be a callback to her look from the movie Batman Returns. The brown leather straps near her chest and her shoulders remind me of Catwoman's look from the Injustice game. Whether that was intended or not, Joanna looks fantastic. The entirety of the cosplay is a latex catsuit with alterations here and there as I've mentioned earlier.

Photo by Ron Gejon Photography
The brown straps continue down from Joanna's chest down towards her waist. Serving as a utility belt of some sort with pouches included. The entire setup resembles a harness and I love how it works with the catsuit. Tall heeled boots make up the bottom part of her legs and some kind of flap can be seen sticking out of them from the top. For the cowl, Joanna mentioned following a tutorial that fellow cosplayer Lisa Lou Who made for her Catwoman that she made awhile back. I can definitely say that it looks fabulous on her. The cowl itself is somewhat small and loose which must be comfortable for Joanna to wear.

Goggles with a red tint are seen on the top of the cowl which is standard to Selina's design. Also included is a choker around Joanna's neck and gloves can be seen in some shots as well. For the latter, she added in claws which were constructed from the Worbla scraps Joanna had left over from her previous cosplays. What makes this cosplay so awesome are the photos that I mentioned at the start of this feature. These were taken during NYCC outside of the con. It's been stated that the rooftops were a bit slippery on the edges Joanna was sitting on, that takes guts I'll tell you that! Having Joanna look down over the city as if she's planning her next heist is just so badass. The background and lighting are beyond perfect. I pretty much love everything about this cosplay and its construction. Oh and of course a whip was included, can't have Catwoman without a whip right? Enjoy the other pictures guys!

Photo by Jason Chau Photography 
Photo by Jason Chau Photography
Photo by Ron Gejon Photography

I highly recommend checking out Joanna's cosplay page if you haven't already. Always enjoy featuring her work and she shows so much passion. Plus, her Katsucon cosplays looked INCREDIBLE!! :D

What's Popular?