Skip to main content

Latest Podcast Episode

Featured

Shutting One Door, Keeping others Open

UPDATED ON 8/20/21: Facebook, Patreon and Blog IG pages have been shutdown/discontinued As the COVID pandemic rages on and cons are even shutting down into 2021, it got me thinking on a drive home one night about how I'd feel with even coming back to blogging. When cons eventually do come back at some point. Truth be told, many of the posts and content I shared here could be transferred over to more discussions via my podcast CosplayBytes. I've been blogging my love for games, cons and cosplay for 7 years now and maybe it's time to say goodbye for now? My podcast has gotten me some incredible opportunities as a member of Press for conventions, and the rapid love I've had for streaming is also taking up a lot of time now. On top of multiple personal things on my end, I don't think I have the energy to keep this up even post COVID you know? The very first cosplay centered post I wrote was on Jessica Nigri's Deadpool, and since then it's spawned over 800 posts

Game Review: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune


This past Christmas, I was given the full Uncharted trilogy remastered for the PS4. Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection contains the current set of Uncharted 1-3. With an added bonus of Beta Access to the Multiplayer for Uncharted 4. Unfortunately though, the little slip with the code proved to be worthless since the beta was a one time thing during a certain week earlier in the month. All 3 games contain just the Main Story campaign. For Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, I completed the Story in 7 hours on Normal difficulty. Much like the Mass Effect Trilogy (which I got around this time last year), I'll be playing through each entry and writing up a review as well. In hopes of citing differences/improvements between them.

 If you've been playing games during the last console generation, then most likely you've heard of the Uncharted franchise. For this first entry, you take on the role of adventurer and explorer, Nathan Drake. Pretty much Indianna Jones meets Lara Croft if you want to get a taste of his personality. What starts off with Nathan (also claims to be a descendent of famed explorer Sir Francis Drake) discovering the casket of Francis, soon turns into a hunt for the fabled treasure of El Dorado.

Together with his associate/partner Sully and news reporter Elena, they're thrown into an island wide dash grab for the treasure. While facing off hired gunmen for Gabriel, a man looking to collect a large sum of debt Sully obtained. I was a little surprised at how the game played but figured it would play out like it did anyways. Drake's Fortune is a mix between cover shooter and adventure/puzzle solving (much like Tomb Raider, I imagine). Having just finished The Order: 1886 a few weeks ago, I naturally got back into the swing of hiding behind cover and taking down enemies. I did a much better job shooting the bad guys down this time so yay for me!

Your weapon artillery consists of a variety of pistols, assault rifles, shotguns, sniper rifles and launchers. Grenades are thrown in as well and you're able to pick up ammo from your fallen foes along with some just laying around. I was pleased with the pacing/placement as I didn't really have a moment where I was out of ammo for a long time. The puzzles weren't too hard to complete but controlling Drake was a bit troublesome. I've died countless times more in accidental falling off heights than being gunned down by enemies. Sometimes he wouldn't respond to an action like jumping off to the next platform, or dropping down to a nearby ledge.

That and the back half of the campaign turned out to be my main gripes with the game overall. You guys may notice that some of the screenshots I found are from the original version of the game, I have to say that the HD facelift looks tons better than the first version. Though some of the facial expressions they made were a bit weird. One of the other main things that Uncharted is known for is playing like a full cinematic experience. The cutscenes were beautifully constructed as was the voice acting. Nolan North absolutely nails Drake's character and it pretty soon defined the role in subsequent entries. The music was orchestrated well too, there were moments where I was stuck on a puzzle trying to figure it out fast. Only because the music was starting to scare me a little XD.


Overall, I was very pleased and excited that I'll finally be able to experience a well known franchise that set the par in game story telling. Quick Time Events were also utilized but not as frequent though some took me by surprise and thus led me to a death. It definitely sets up what I can only imagine the other 2 games throw in and I can't wait to dive further into the franchise.



Should you Play this Game?
Yes! Drake's Fortune is a fantastic game setting up the Uncharted trilogy. Despite it's repetitive last stretch and awkward movement controls, the story is engaging. Memorable characters, gorgeous scenery, thrilling gun combat and tense music make this worth a play through!

What's Popular?