Skip to main content

Latest Podcast Episode

Featured

Shutting One Door, Keeping others Open

UPDATED ON 8/20/21: Facebook, Patreon and Blog IG pages have been shutdown/discontinued As the COVID pandemic rages on and cons are even shutting down into 2021, it got me thinking on a drive home one night about how I'd feel with even coming back to blogging. When cons eventually do come back at some point. Truth be told, many of the posts and content I shared here could be transferred over to more discussions via my podcast CosplayBytes. I've been blogging my love for games, cons and cosplay for 7 years now and maybe it's time to say goodbye for now? My podcast has gotten me some incredible opportunities as a member of Press for conventions, and the rapid love I've had for streaming is also taking up a lot of time now. On top of multiple personal things on my end, I don't think I have the energy to keep this up even post COVID you know? The very first cosplay centered post I wrote was on Jessica Nigri's Deadpool, and since then it's spawned over 800 posts

Cosplay Feature: Ely Renae's Aloy!

Photo by Sara Lynn Photography
I had the absolute pleasure of meeting Ely Renae at last year's New York Comic Con! It was even more of a treat considering on that Saturday she was wearing her Aloy cosplay which she had a blast working on. Aloy is the main character from the upcoming game Horizon: Until Dawn where you basically fight giant robot dinosaurs with the tribal setting that you see Ely dressed up to be in. Lots of earthy brown is used for the top and pants. A lighter shade of brown is seen over the first shirt which is of a much darker shade. Resting on her shoulders and extending ever so slightly is a fur strap which matches up to Aloy perfectly. Things start to get crazy as you get to the pants themselves and the drape that comes down from her waist. This part consists of red, tan and blue in a square pattern. The tan area has a design of a wave inspired pattern on it. Leather pouches are seen throughout this "belt" of sorts along with red fabric tied up.

Photo by Martin Wong
Around her neck, Ely has a light blue ascot and a couple of beaded necklaces. Her hands are where things get interesting with gauntlets and their interesting design. It looks like to be a bit of a tech inspired design so that possibly is an element used in the game for Aloy. This is seen again closer to her boots which are different for each foot. Covered in straps, netting and fur. One of my favorite things is of course the spear prop that Ely had done. Unfortunately she wasn't able to bring it to NYCC, but the photos taken after the convention show it amazingly.

A long wooden pole with the spear tip at the top, it's mainly decorated in a similar fashion to her boots. Various straps and cloth hang off of it on the top and bottom. Fur is also seen right before the top area. The wig that Ely chose is long and red with braided portions coming in from the side. I absolutely love how it came out altogether. The photos themselves show off the outfit in great detail, especially the ones with the spear. The outdoor nature is perfect for Aloy and they look like they were taken from the game itself. I know Ely was very excited to cosplay her the moment the game was announced. I hope you guys like the photos I have for you! :D

Photo by Aggressive Comix
Photo by Sara Lynn Photography
Photo by Sara Lynn Photography
Please check out Ely Renae's page if you haven't already. She makes such awesome cosplays in addition to the derpiest of faces. I hope I get to see her at a convention again next year and be able to chat with her more! Here's to another awesome year of cosplay posts and basically everything else I talk about here! ^_^

What's Popular?