Skip to main content

Latest Podcast Episode

Featured

Shutting One Door, Keeping others Open

UPDATED ON 8/20/21: Facebook, Patreon and Blog IG pages have been shutdown/discontinued As the COVID pandemic rages on and cons are even shutting down into 2021, it got me thinking on a drive home one night about how I'd feel with even coming back to blogging. When cons eventually do come back at some point. Truth be told, many of the posts and content I shared here could be transferred over to more discussions via my podcast CosplayBytes. I've been blogging my love for games, cons and cosplay for 7 years now and maybe it's time to say goodbye for now? My podcast has gotten me some incredible opportunities as a member of Press for conventions, and the rapid love I've had for streaming is also taking up a lot of time now. On top of multiple personal things on my end, I don't think I have the energy to keep this up even post COVID you know? The very first cosplay centered post I wrote was on Jessica Nigri's Deadpool, and since then it's spawned over 800 posts

Cosplayer Interview: Bill Doran of Punished Props!



For today's Interview I managed to get a hold of the immensely talented Bill Doran of Punished Props! You may have heard that name before as I've featured his prop work before on my blog. To those who are unfamiliar, Punished Props is basically a prop making company solely run by Bill and his wife who live out in Seattle, Washington! Some of his finished props include the Monado blade from Xenoblade Chronicles, guns from various games like Mass Effect, Destiny, and Borderlands, and even the Dragon Priest Masks from Skyrim. He has also created props for many other cosplayers including Nausicaa's weapon for Jessica Nigri alongside daggers for her Wildstar cosplay worn at PAX East last year!

Like most cosplayers starting out, Bill got convinced to dress up from his friends when he went to his first convention in 2009. The con in question was PAX Prime. This also led to his first cosplay being the Soldier from Team Fortress 2! He thankfully grew up loving fantasy and sci-fi stuff along with his twin brother who also happens to be into the same stuff. When it comes to the prop work, Bill tends to lean more towards the video games since that was more of his interest. One new element that he's getting more into are electronics and making things glow. With some experience under his belt, he hopes to work with them more!


Other notable things include a series of books that Bill has published known as "The Foamsmith Trilogy" which basically give cosplayers a break down on how to work with foam from patterning to painting and finishing. Using these myself has proven to be incredibly helpful with working on my upcoming Aquaman cosplay! I hope you guys enjoy these questions!

-----------------------------------------------------------

What got you into cosplay/prop making and how long have you been doing it?
Back in 2009 some friends of mine convinced me to dress up as a character from Team Fortress 2 and go to PAX Prime.

What prop was the first you ever created?
The Soldier's rocket launcher from Team Fortress 2.

Thinking back to the last convention you were at, did you enjoy it?
It was so much fun! We had 6 people in our TF2 group and everyone wanted to take our photo.

What cosplay(s) did you bring to this convention?
Just the TF2 costumes.

What is your favorite cosplay/prop you’ve made so far?
So far my favorite costume is the Skyrim Draugr Deathlord costumes that my wife and I made and wear.

What got you into being a geek?
Ever since I was a wee lad I was interested in scifi and fantasy books. Highlander was my favorite TV show.

Do you have any other members of your family who are into what you enjoy? Or are you at present the only “geek” in the family?
My twin brother is very much into the same stuff as I am.


You’ve been able to work on props and commissions for many cosplayers who have the difficulty in creating such high quality items. I imagine the process is different for each prop or do you have like a series of steps you follow for certain things such as creating guns?
Every single prop that I make from scratch is a prototype. There are many similar steps, but each build proposes it's own set of challenges.

Much of your prop work stem from the video game world such as Mass Effect guns, Skyrim armor as well as many other forms of weaponry. Is that the kind of work you’ve been doing as long as you remember? Were any props from comic books made?
I was always way more into video games than comic books and I like to make stuff from the things I enjoy. Hence all the video game props.

One cosplay you made for both you and your wife were a full set of Dragur armor from Skyrim! What was that like creating something for the both of you to enjoy?
It was awesome being able to split the work load between two people. The process was a lot of fun and very rewarding.

I also loved the weapon props you made for both Jessica Nigri and Monika Lee’s Wildstar cosplays last year. The glow effects on Monika’s circle blades looked especially cool! Were those fun to work on as well?
It's always fun putting glowing elements into props. I'm starting to get better at adding electronics and they're so, so pretty.

Are there any props at the moment that remain unfinished at the moment that you hope to complete soon?
I always have several projects on the back burner.

One of the things you also sell is a collection of books titled “The Foamsmith Trilogy”. You detail the steps required so that anyone who hasn’t tried creating things out of foam can easily jump in and start crafting. How do you feel that many cosplayers are using them to help with their own projects?
It's been very rewarding hearing back from cosplayers who have used my materials to make their own creations.

What do you think about cosplay as it is now hitting the mainstream?
I'm excited to see our hobby making it's way to more and more participants.

Do you have any upcoming cosplays for this year that you’re able to share?
I just finished a Destiny costume. I still want to make a helmet for it, but other than that, I haven't figured out what costume I'm going to do next.

Do you imagine cosplaying being a part of your life within the next 5 years and do you hope to evolve your skill set?
Yes and yes.

What’s a day in the life Bill Doran?
Wake up, eat breakfast, exercise, shower, build things, sleep, repeat.

Any upcoming game releases you’re looking forward to?
I'm pretty stoked to play Overwatch.

Do you have a favorite convention?
Easy, Dragon Con.

If you had to pick your dream prop to make, what would it be?

Kind of a big "prop", but I want to make Corbin Dallas' apartment from the 5th Element.


Photo by Cosplay Boom
I do hope you guys enjoyed this interview! If you guys want to follow Punished Props, be sure to check out these links and visit his website! Special thanks to Bill for letting me do this with him :D

What's Popular?