Skip to main content

Latest Podcast Episode

Featured

Shutting One Door, Keeping others Open

UPDATED ON 8/20/21: Facebook, Patreon and Blog IG pages have been shutdown/discontinued As the COVID pandemic rages on and cons are even shutting down into 2021, it got me thinking on a drive home one night about how I'd feel with even coming back to blogging. When cons eventually do come back at some point. Truth be told, many of the posts and content I shared here could be transferred over to more discussions via my podcast CosplayBytes. I've been blogging my love for games, cons and cosplay for 7 years now and maybe it's time to say goodbye for now? My podcast has gotten me some incredible opportunities as a member of Press for conventions, and the rapid love I've had for streaming is also taking up a lot of time now. On top of multiple personal things on my end, I don't think I have the energy to keep this up even post COVID you know? The very first cosplay centered post I wrote was on Jessica Nigri's Deadpool, and since then it's spawned over 800 posts

Cosplay Feature: Monika Lee's Aela the Huntress!

Photo by Joseph Chi Lin Photography
I feel like this blog needs more solo features of Monika Lee. You guys agree right? Of course you do! So for today I have Monika's Aela the Huntress cosplay from Skyrim. Having been following her progress through WIP photos, Monika crafted this cosplay to be worn at NYCC last year. I managed to see it of course in person and it looked incredibly awesome! Most of the cosplay was constructed with the use of suede brown fabric along with various pieces of armor placed throughout her body. The armor itself was created in a variety of different ways including Foam and Worbla. If I were to guess, the shoulders were done with Worbla and mostly everything else was done with foam. This is based on how small and possibly lightweight the pieces are. Fur was also included in the under areas of the shoulders as well as her boots (which you can't see in most of the pictures).

Photo by JwaiDesign Photography
When it came to both of the weapons, Monika commissioned the dagger from Punished Props and a hunting bow from PVC Armory. Some of the armor were covered in Worbla to have them look sturdier/battle worn! I love the weathering effects she used on the thigh armor! Monika also used green stretch fabric for covering her hands and arms. The little stones that can be seen are made from resin and being casted. They're of a beautiful turquoise color with a nice design inside of them. She also referenced tips from fellow prop maker Volpin Props for areas such as the bolts on her thigh armor.

There's literally so much I could attempt in dissecting this outfit but what I love about Monika is she creates tons of albums on her page with brief descriptions on how she made each piece of her cosplay. Her wig is a long orange/red shade and the makeup used (one of Monika's expert areas in my opinion) looks so cool! I love how the green markings look on her. Photo wise, Monika actually took some pictures over in Central Park early in the morning the day she wore Aela. Thinking about the environment of Skyrim, the park was a perfect fit. There aren't that many photos of Monika's Aela so in addition I included one of the 2 of us :D. Hope you guys like them!


Photo by Elysiam Entertainment 

Photo by Cosplay by TLP Media
Photo by Cosplay by TLP Media
I apologize if it seemed like I missed a ton in describing this cosplay so in addition to a page link, I also have one directly to Monika's "Making of Aela" album.
https://www.facebook.com/London2191Cosplay
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.630170553760312.1073741843.120947368015969&type=3

What's Popular?