Skip to main content

Latest Podcast Episode

Featured

Shutting One Door, Keeping others Open

UPDATED ON 8/20/21: Facebook, Patreon and Blog IG pages have been shutdown/discontinued As the COVID pandemic rages on and cons are even shutting down into 2021, it got me thinking on a drive home one night about how I'd feel with even coming back to blogging. When cons eventually do come back at some point. Truth be told, many of the posts and content I shared here could be transferred over to more discussions via my podcast CosplayBytes. I've been blogging my love for games, cons and cosplay for 7 years now and maybe it's time to say goodbye for now? My podcast has gotten me some incredible opportunities as a member of Press for conventions, and the rapid love I've had for streaming is also taking up a lot of time now. On top of multiple personal things on my end, I don't think I have the energy to keep this up even post COVID you know? The very first cosplay centered post I wrote was on Jessica Nigri's Deadpool, and since then it's spawned over 800 posts

Convention Report: New York Comic Con 2014

The start of an amazing convention <3
If someone was to tell me that I would become somewhat noticed by lots of people because of my photos and blog I probably would have chuckled and shrugged it off saying "Yeah, right". What happened last weekend pretty much changed that and I was just overwhelmed with all the feels and love I received from everyone I hung out with <3. My Dad and I attended New York Comic Con for a 3rd time this year and we cosplayed for most of the weekend. Dad debuted his Steampunk Riddler on Friday and Saturday while I had Riku, Steampunk Nightwing, and Greninja. Overall the cosplays were a big hit especially with my Dad who got stopped many times on the show floor.

We mainly spent our time shopping and moving back and forth between several booths as well as hitting up the Artist Alley to visit some of the comic book writers/artists and have some comics signed! Jessica Nigri and Kelly Jean were located all the way in Aisle 100 right near Cherry Sauce and Monika Lee had her booth with SONICBOOMBOX along with other cosplayers including Riddle's Messy Wardrobe, Stella Chuu and Lindsay Elyse. I'm going to try my best to cover everything that happened so I apologize if I miss something!


My biggest fear I had was not being able to bring in the weapon props I had for Riku and Nightwing with them being made out of wood. Thankfully I was able to get in just fine and we both started our walk onto the con floor. I was so happy to learn right before the convention that cosplayer Kelly Jean was coming over from the UK to attend NYCC! When we got to her booth Jess hadn't shown up yet so I got to chat with Kelly for a bit. She is by far one of the sweetest girls I've ever met and it made me so happy to hear that she remembered who I was from Twitter when I found out she was going to be there. Her cosplay for Friday was a jungle version of Rogue from X-Men and it was so adorable! Many of the photos we took together were selfies and I mean just look at this face! :D
Met Kelly Jean!

Later on Jessica showed up in her Magneto cosplay and she was so happy to see me and Dad in our cosplays together. We chatted for a little bit and she complimented Dad's cosplay with how he nailed it. As well as mentioning the hilarious moment I had with her and Monika when PAX East ended a few months prior! The guys over at Cherry Sauce were super fun to talk with throughout the entire weekend and I got to meet photographer Darshelle Stevens who you guys might know from here since I know I've shown her pictures before (think pretty colors) and she loved meeting me as well!

When we visited Monika and Riki they were just as sweet as always. They both enjoyed the drawings I gave them and I picked up prints as I had planned (same with Jess). Holy crap you guys seeing their Assassins' Creed Unity outfits was amazing and we got a great picture together. Riki said some really sweet things to me about my keyblade while Monika was looking at it having already seen it before in my thank-you video on here! Once we were done visiting them, we walked around scoping out the con floor with myself trying to find people who weren't going to be at the booth.

Look how badass Monika and Riki look!
I managed to run into Casey Anne Cosplay and she was wearing her revamped Fran from earlier this year and it's one of my all time favorites. You guys should have seen it, SO BEAUTIFUL! We chatted for a little bit and she also really loved how my keyblade turned out. I hopped on over to the Triforce booth where cosplayers Lindsay Elyse, DeAnna Davis and VampyBitMe were working. Only Lindsay was there at the moment (in her incredible Wonder Woman) and I managed to get her attention instead of waiting in line to get a photo taken with her. She motioned me over and told me to hand over the keyblade. Being a massive Kingdom Hearts fan, she freaking loved it so much. We eventually got a proper photo when she was over at her other booth where Monika and the others were located. I also properly met Stella Chuu at the SONICBOOMBOX booth and her Supergirl Kai was awesome!!

Casey is best Fran, period <3
What was perhaps the most entertaining part of Friday was me working Jessica's booth and keeping Kelly company while she was away changing out of Magneto. Derp pictures were taken and I had a great time getting to know her a little bit more :). This eventually led to me getting prints from her and besides, I have no idea when I'll see her again but I hope it's soon! Pretty much hopping between booths and getting most of our shopping done was how Friday was spent. We attempted to stay as long as we could at the after party Monika, Lindsay and Riki were hosting but I didn't last very long (1.5 hours XD) though the drink we both had was tasty :)

Saturday came around and Dad wore his Steampunk Riddler again while I matched with Steampunk Nightwing. This was pleasing to Monika as she asked the other day if there will be group cosplays for the 2 of us. Plus, Jessica wore her Arkham Knight Harley Quinn so we all posed for a photo taken by the talented David Ngo who I finally met this weekend after having known each other online through sharing his pictures with you guys pretty much everywhere :D. Having Jessica sharing it on her Instagram the next day was pretty mind blowing <3

Lindsay's Wonder Woman was INSANE!
Monika debuted her Aela the Huntress from Skyrim which she had been working on non stop to get it done for the convention and it looked so cool!! I told her some important stuff on how much she means to me and she enjoyed hearing that which makes me really happy BECAUSE IT'S THE TRUTH! :) Riki was wearing her Persona cosplay from the SyFy show and the book prop was really cool to see in action! :D

I managed to see DeAnna that day having just missed her yesterday. She loved seeing me again and was having wardrobe malfunctions with her Athena from Borderlands: The PreSequel but managed to get everything fixed (the power of safety pins). We took a picture together which I don't have yet but I'll be sure to upload it when I get it! I properly met one of my friends from Twitter who was wearing a Harley Quinn design by an artist she was a fan of and it looked super cute! Oh and I also met (at long last) the super beautiful Ivy Doomkitty and she gives really good hugs <3, plus she loved the drawing I gave her!

Monika's Aela was BEAST!!

Sunday came around and I was super comfortable as Greninja, after the craziness of Jess' booth Saturday, people still were lining up early to see her even though they were told she wasn't going to show up at 1pm, to make it even crazier for people, she planned on signing for one hour due to her needing to relax and save her voice for a super secret voice acting gig she has today actually! GOOD LUCK JESSICA YOU GOT THIS :D.

Monika unfortunately had left Saturday but Riki was around after being confused on when she was leaving. I had a really heartfelt conversation with her about my blog and her giving me suggestions on featuring more up and coming cosplayers rather than those that are well-known already which I plan on doing starting this week! Having her say that I write so eloquently was so sweet to hear! You really put a smile on my face when you said that Riki! Jason and Mike even further gave me some advice on cosplayers to feature, 2 of which were here but I couldn't find the time to meet them unfortunately.

Other things that happened this weekend include actual followers of mine from Twitter coming up to me and saying hi which definitely blew me away! I also met cosplayer Uncanny Megan who was an absolute delight to talk with! Her Phoenix she wore on Saturday was fantastic! Cosplayers Byndo Gehk and KO Cosplay were stationed at the SONICBOOMBOX booth on Sunday and they adored finally meeting me and seeing my Greninja cosplay! I walked around with Casey Anne for a bit as well that same day, catching up with each other and seeing what we've been up to. I missed her lots <3.

 I found Negative Stacey and properly met her as well thanking her for everything that she's done for me with the interview and winning her contest :D. We also met up with a co-worker of my Dad's who went to NYCC for the first time with her brother and they were both so overwhelmed! Loot-wise I got cosplayer prints, Cherry Sauce shirts and a Limited Edition Nightwing statue from Kotobukiya! I also saw cosplayer Ani-Mia on Saturday who was rocking an altered Assassins' Creed cosplay from Costume Super Center (speaking of which, maybe something will happen with them soon and this blog :)).

Working Kelly and Jessica's Booth!
It's hard for me to recall almost everything but I want to wrap this up and let the photos speak for themselves. I had an amazing time, really I did. If last year was about getting some memorable moments near the very end then this year was all about how accepted I was by everyone who I saw and how everyone enjoyed me stopping by and staying for awhile. Jessica would occasionally talk with me when I was nearby her booth to make sure I was ok, and I told her how much she means to me and how my life changed when I met her. Both her and Monika help when I deal with depression with their pictures making me smile and Jessica inspiring me to exercise every day as much as I can. If anything, the 2 of them are like sisters to me having spent time with them in the years I got to know them. I love them so much and I've met some amazing people thanks to them. I'm so thankful to have people like them impact my life in such a positive way and I feel like one of the luckiest guys in the world. I don't think I have anything left to say...I don't know if I can without starting to cry...take a look at the pictures and maybe you'll know how it was for me?

Kelly's Derp Form
Me and Jason!
Another shot of Monika's Aela
Stacey's Spidergirl was GORGEOUS!
Loved meeting Byndo and KO Cosplay! :D
Dad's first picture with Jessica!
Mia looks so awesome in her Assassins' Creed Cosplay!
Uncanny Megan was such a sweetheart!
My Mom found this on the Con's Facebook Page XD
Riki gave me some amazing advice in her 1940's Harley Quinn <3
Cutest selfie with Casey? I think so :)
Lindsay's SeeU Vocaloid was ADORABLE!
Riki's Persona Cosplay!
My friend Tina and her Harley Quinn!
Stella Chuu's Supergirl Kai was badass!
Ivy Doomkitty was such a sweet lady, I love her so much :D
Kelly in a pretty dress!
This super awesome Axel Genderbend and I battled it out!
Mike and Darshelle are cute together
Photo by David Ngo
Jessica's Harley was so awesome!
She's so cute in casual clothes
Kelly's Katarina was really adorable I can't. I miss her so much ;_;
My Greninja in action. Photo by David Ngo
Best cosplay sister ever :D




What's Popular?