Skip to main content

Latest Podcast Episode

Featured

Shutting One Door, Keeping others Open

UPDATED ON 8/20/21: Facebook, Patreon and Blog IG pages have been shutdown/discontinued As the COVID pandemic rages on and cons are even shutting down into 2021, it got me thinking on a drive home one night about how I'd feel with even coming back to blogging. When cons eventually do come back at some point. Truth be told, many of the posts and content I shared here could be transferred over to more discussions via my podcast CosplayBytes. I've been blogging my love for games, cons and cosplay for 7 years now and maybe it's time to say goodbye for now? My podcast has gotten me some incredible opportunities as a member of Press for conventions, and the rapid love I've had for streaming is also taking up a lot of time now. On top of multiple personal things on my end, I don't think I have the energy to keep this up even post COVID you know? The very first cosplay centered post I wrote was on Jessica Nigri's Deadpool, and since then it's spawned over 800 posts

Cosplay Feature: Destiny Nickelsen's Juliet Starling!

Today I wanted to feature the awesomeness that is Destiny Nickelsen! You've all probably seen her on this blog before in forms of shout-outs and the interview I did with her awhile back. Destiny is arguably one of the sweetest cosplayers I've had the pleasure of getting to know this year! One of her cosplays that I absolutely love is her Juliet Starling from Lollipop Chainsaw. Now yes this character has been done often by females due to the popularity of the game and the outfit but what makes Destiny's so special is the fact that hers is one of the alternate outfit known as "All-American Cheerleader" and I think she's also the only cosplayer that I know of who's done that specific outfit which is kinda cool!

Photo by Tobias Roybal Photography

While the outfit itself is a basic cheerleader outfit, lots of work went into getting the design right! The skirt I believe utilizes box pleats, high knee socks with the school name on them, wrists bands and the top made up with a patriotic look and little stars on right side. Then there's the big prop being the giant chainsaw! Compared to the way these were made in other versions, Destiny has noted that she wants to one day remake the chainsaw. The blade end is apparently less bulky than it really is (or I could be wrong, kind hard to tell in the pictures) which was probably done to keep it light for her to carry around. The poses Destiny makes in the following photos really capture the spirit that Juliet!

I especially love the lollipop addition that Destiny put in the photos and she looks so adorable and beautiful in the outfit. The wig also looks amazing on her! I technically met Destiny at NYCC 2012 but  it was somewhat brief as she looked a bit tired from taking pictures but sure enough she was wearing this outfit and it looked amazing in person! Of course I was able to talk with her alot more at conventions this year which was so cool! I hope you guys enjoy the other photos I have picked out :)

Photo by Tobias Roybal Photography


Photo by Tobias Roybal Photography


What's Popular?