Skip to main content

Latest Podcast Episode

Featured

Shutting One Door, Keeping others Open

UPDATED ON 8/20/21: Facebook, Patreon and Blog IG pages have been shutdown/discontinued As the COVID pandemic rages on and cons are even shutting down into 2021, it got me thinking on a drive home one night about how I'd feel with even coming back to blogging. When cons eventually do come back at some point. Truth be told, many of the posts and content I shared here could be transferred over to more discussions via my podcast CosplayBytes. I've been blogging my love for games, cons and cosplay for 7 years now and maybe it's time to say goodbye for now? My podcast has gotten me some incredible opportunities as a member of Press for conventions, and the rapid love I've had for streaming is also taking up a lot of time now. On top of multiple personal things on my end, I don't think I have the energy to keep this up even post COVID you know? The very first cosplay centered post I wrote was on Jessica Nigri's Deadpool, and since then it's spawned over 800 posts

Cosplayer Interview: Abi Aikou/Koneko Sensei!


Last week, I shared my super amazing friend Koneko Sensei otherwise known as Abiaikou. This week, I managed to get Interview questions back from her so I'm beyond happy to share with you even more about this sweetheart. Abi got started in cosplay just shy of over a year and she goes into detail about what it's like for her being a huge fan of certain characters. To a point where she gets made fun of for having a "crush" on a fictional person. Truthfully, I've also had many crushes on fictional creations (Tifa Lockheart anyone?) so I understand where Abi is coming from on that front. Her first cosplay ended up being Rias Gremory from the anime High School DxD (which she got me into :3), which opened up many other options later on in her cosplay life. Abi's an individual who--like many other cosplayers--chooses characters she feels a connection to. The last convention Abi was at consisted of her bringing both Catwoman's New 52 design and the recent Suicide Squad movie version of Harley Quinn.

Both of these cosplays might I add, she looked absolutely gorgeous in from the photos she posted. Mostly all of Abi's siblings and her Dad are into sci-fi, gaming and superheroes so she pretty much grew up with the fandoms. Her limits as to what she cosplays from know no bounds, exclaiming she'd love to cosplay as a Xenomorph from the Aliens franchise! Abi also feels that anime and watching AMV's help her a lot and can instantly turn her mood around. I also asked about her Poison Ivy which not only was the cosplay I first discovered her in, but also grew to be one of my favorites of her. She said that its construction was very easy in all honesty. Legit including hot gluing leaves on whatever bottoms she's wearing depending on the design. This allows her to easily re-wear the outfit at a later date.

Other things you'll learn about Abi include her hobby of building various Gundam models! Much like cosplay, she finds it hard to pick a favorite build she's done. Most of these were sent as gifts from friends and fans so that plays into why it's so hard to pick a favorite. Abi is also not too huge on cosplay gaining the popularity it has in recent years which you can read in the questions down below. Other things you'll learn about Abi are her namesake, upcoming cosplays and whether or not she has a favorite convention or not! Enjoy guys!
-------------------------------------------------
What got you into cosplay and how long have you been doing it?
Long list. When I tell someone I had a crush on a fictional character they would laugh and make fun of me saying that I can't like something that isn't real so I would pull up a picture of a cosplay version of whatever character it was at the time and would be like check it out! And they'd be like oh! Well... Ok. Lol! Another thing is that to me it's like living art. The fact that someone can make themselves look not even real like they just came out of an anime/game or whatever was amazing to me. The bright contacts and wigs and makeup and everything. Like how cool is a walking, moving, breathing picture? How some people put so much detail in their cosplays and make themselves into a canvas is so cool. And last reason is that sometimes fiction is so great I wish it were real life, and some characters are so cool I wish you could do the things they did in real life. And the closest I can get to making that a reality is by cosplaying and LARPING! Lol!! I have been cosplaying for like 1 year and a month. So a little over a year. Lol! 
Which cosplay was the first you ever created?
Rias Gremory from High School DXD Was the first one I did.
Thinking back to the last convention you were at, did you enjoy it?
Of course! Lol
What cosplay(s) did you bring to this convention?
New 52 Catwoman and Suicide Squad Harley Quinn
What is your favorite cosplay you’ve made so far?
Too many to answer?  All depends on my mood and who I feel like being. Lol! 
What got you into being a geek?
Family I guess? I've played games and read comics and watched sci fi and watched anime and stuff since as long as I have been able to. When I was too young to play a video game I would at least be watching.
Do you have any other members of your family who are into what you enjoy? Or are you at present the only “geek” in the family?
Almost all of my siblings and my dad are into at least sci fi or games or super heroes and stuff.
You seem split on video game cosplays and anime cosplays! Do you have a preferred area to cosplay from?
Nope. I like everything. What would be really sweet would be to cosplay a Xenomorph! Lol!!! That would be awesome XD
I believe I found you through you liking some of my pics on Instagram a couple months ago and since then we’ve grown to be superbly close friends. Some of your cosplays include many from anime (some of which you’ve recommended to me), do you relate to characters from the various shows you watch easier than other forms of media?
The characters I relate the most to I've actually only cosplayed two of so far. One being a comic book character and the other being an anime character. The other two I relate to are both guys and probably will never cosplay them. But I do have a soft spot for anime over everything. I'm into a lot of stuff, but anime and AMVS are one thing that can take my mood from 0 to 100 in a second no matter what's going on around me. 
Your Poison Ivy cosplay also has to be one of my favorites that you’ve done. What was it like creating the top and bottom parts using mainly leaves and other sorts of material? Also your wig is super on point!
Super easy honestly. I just use whatever on the bottom I feel like doing with the design and I hot glue the leaves all over it. And when I'm done I just peel them all off so I can do something different the next time. Thanks! The wig is from Gothic Lolita Wigs. I just style it different all the time. Lol.
You Instagram and Snapchat progress on building lots of Gundam figures/models. Do you have a personal favorite that you’ve completed? What is it about the hobby/process that you enjoy the most?
Ahh I couldn't pick a fave. A lot of my model sets my amazing fans/friends have sent me and there would be no way I could choose between them. It's super amazing that people send anything at all. I'm super thankful for all of them (and a little dragon I have on my shelf.) lol! What I enjoy about it? Idk I guess I just really like building stuff. It's cool to make something and show it and be proud to say "hey, I made that." Lol! It's satisfying to know you accomplished something and it turned out really cool. Lol! 
What do you think about cosplay as it is now hitting the mainstream?
 I don't like the fact there are a lot of fakes now... Cons and geek community should be a safe place. I mean face it. Geeks aren't the COOL kids and making it like we are, is just odd. I've met people who used to bully the geeks like ridiculous back in school and stuff and now are all of a sudden cosplaying? Some literally don't even know ANYTHING about the character. Even playboy models cosplay now. One of the cons I have been at, some of the girls were even making fun of some of the people there and saying how annoying a guy was who was having a great time talking to people about shared interests. Like that's the main point of a con in my opinion! Talking to and meeting people who are like you who share common interest. Like that should be a BIG part of it. Looks and anything else shouldn't matter. I've also been seeing so much hate on my own and others accounts, criticizing people for their costume quality or peoples overall appearance, skin color and body type. Cosplay is about having fun and showing your love for the character! Not comparing people and mocking them.
Do you have any upcoming cosplays for this year that you’re able to share?
For sure should have Shamikaze, Misa, and Saeko this year. Not positive on what else yet.
Do you imagine cosplaying being a part of your life within the next 5 years and do you hope to evolve your skill set?
I'm sure it will be. My list of stuff I want to cosplay just gets bigger everyday. Lol! I doubt it'll end anytime soon or I'll finish them all by then. Lol! 
What’s a day in the life of Koneko Sensei? Where did the name come from?
Depends on the day honestly. Lol!! My days are ALWAYS different. I work at the bakery at least like 5 days a week typically tho. So that's almost always a for sure. Everything else is never a for sure. I don't even know what I'm doing tomorrow. Lol!  The name? Well originally the username was Abi.koneko (koneko meaning kitten) just because I thought abi kitten was cute. But then some weird fake account copied my name so I changed it. Lol! So now it's just kitten master/teacher just cuz I thought it was funny. No real reason behind it honestly. Lol! 
Any upcoming game releases you’re looking forward to?
Lots and none. Lol! I have No New game systems ATM. What I personally own at my place is all old systems. So ATM it's mostly looking forward to finding more older games at second hand shops. Lol! As soon as I get a Xbox one or ps4 especially (even PS3 if anything) I'm gonna get a lot of stuff I've been wanting. Mostly anime games first honestly. Lol! Ps4 and 3 have so many Neptunia games! 
Do you have a favorite convention?
Well I've only been to local ones so far so can't really say. Never been to any big ones yet. 
If you could live in an anime universe/world, which one would you pick and why?

Too hard to pick. That's why I cosplay from so many different ones.




--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's a whole lot of things I personally have to thank Abiaikou for being a part of my life and this interview is just added on to that long list <3. I hope you guys enjoyed it and I highly recommend you checking out Abi's Social Media pages! Koneko Sensei is just getting started with cosplay and I can't wait to see where it takes her :)
https://www.facebook.com/Abiaikou
https://www.instagram.com/koneko.sensei/

What's Popular?