Skip to main content

Latest Podcast Episode

Featured

Shutting One Door, Keeping others Open

UPDATED ON 8/20/21: Facebook, Patreon and Blog IG pages have been shutdown/discontinued As the COVID pandemic rages on and cons are even shutting down into 2021, it got me thinking on a drive home one night about how I'd feel with even coming back to blogging. When cons eventually do come back at some point. Truth be told, many of the posts and content I shared here could be transferred over to more discussions via my podcast CosplayBytes. I've been blogging my love for games, cons and cosplay for 7 years now and maybe it's time to say goodbye for now? My podcast has gotten me some incredible opportunities as a member of Press for conventions, and the rapid love I've had for streaming is also taking up a lot of time now. On top of multiple personal things on my end, I don't think I have the energy to keep this up even post COVID you know? The very first cosplay centered post I wrote was on Jessica Nigri's Deadpool, and since then it's spawned over 800 posts

Cosplayer Interview: Spectra Marvelous!

Photo by AshB Images
I've had the opportunity to talk with cosplayer Spectra several times at conventions and he's definitely a genuine dude who also loves the hell out of cosplay and the community at large. Having just recovered from ColossalCon a few weeks ago, he's now keeping himself busy with various projects for upcoming cons such as NYCC. Spectra started cosplaying back in 2012 and has taken a huge interest in creating armor cosplays. Specifically in working with EVA foam which is a popular tool to use for them. Many of Spectra's cosplays come from the comic book side with characters like Black Panther, Cyborg, Nightwing, Moon Knight, and many others. Though he's said that he hopes to branch out into more gaming characters, having only 2 done so far.

Spectra's always been a geek at heart growing up. With his cousins being into things like comics and games when they were younger so Spectra believes he got that love from them. Plus his grandfather told him lots about the Bronze and Silver age of comics. Not to mention Spectra having lots of Power Ranger toys going all the way through Mystic Force. Drawing Pokemon and staying up late playing Halo 3 are other things he describes doing. Getting back to armor for a second, Spectra's expertise in the area has led him opportunities to have full panels on working with EVA Foam. It even scored him an opportunity to speak at NYCC, pretty rad right?


Photo by PhotoJutsu
In this Interview, you'll learn of the many variations Spectra has done with Cyborg, along with his big plans for the character later this year. Not to mention also a small glimpse into what he would do outside of cosplaying and going to school. He states that out of his entire portfolio of cosplays, Spawn would have to be his favorite. Purely out of his love for the character, and that it was his first real go at making armor. Even though I've had not too many interactions with him in person, Spectra is definitely passionate about what he does and what he plays (video game wise). I really hope you guys enjoy the questions.
-------------------------------------------------------
What got you into cosplay and how long have you been doing it?
 I’ve been cosplaying since Summer of 2012. But I did take somewhat of a hiatus from it while I was in school from Late 2014 till this past May. Give or take a month or two.
Which cosplay was the first you ever created?
 My first cosplay was actually Taskmaster from Marvel Comics, it looked so bad but it was my first time ever making a costume Lol
Thinking back to the last convention you were at, did you enjoy it?
 Oh Hell yeah. It was actually Colossalcon a few weeks ago. I love that con, it has become one of my favorites. It feels more like a vacation with my friends that we can cosplay at together and party the weekend away.
What cosplay(s) did you bring to this convention?
 Colossal Con is at a waterpark so mainly just do swimsuit versions of characters like my swimsuit Roland from Borderlands 2. I also was a Rocker Tuxedo Mask for a Punk Rock Sailor Moon Group.
Photo by Stolen Soul Photography
What is your favorite cosplay you’ve made so far?
 My Spawn I did back at NYCC 2013. It was my first real attempt at making armor. And Spawn is my all time favorite character in comics. I actually remade the costume for NYCC 2015 but haven’t worn it yet. I need to
What got you into being a geek?
 I’ve always been a geek for as long as I remember. I always was into video games, comics, geeky cartoons/tv shows, & movies. When I was younger I had every Power Rangers toy from Mighty Morphin all the way up to Mystic Force. I apparently always had a Digivice toy on me & drew my favorite Pokemon in elementary school too XD While other people in High School were out partying I was home playing Halo 3 and Modern Warfare 2 till 4am Lol
Do you have any other members of your family who are into what you enjoy? Or are you at present the only “geek” in the family?
I think I’m the only “real” geek.  My older cousins were very into comics & video games when they were younger, especially characters like Batman, Spider-Man, & Spawn. I’m told I got it from them. My grandfather was really into comics as well and really introduced me to a lot of the Silver & Bronze age comics in high school which sort of lead to me wanting to learn everything else I could.
Many of your cosplays stem from comic book characters and gaming as well. Do you prefer one medium to the other?
Mostly all my cosplays thus far have been from comics besides Greninja & Scorpion who are from video games. I do plan to add more of a range on my up incoming costumes.
Photo by Eminence Rain
I started following your work maybe a year or 2 ago. Armor cosplays specifically around using EVA foam seem to be your area of expertise! What drew you to that material?
Well thanks dude. I always was interested in making my own armor once I saw some friends doing it. It looked awesome and I hated sewing (Still do) so I just asked them some questions, found out what I needed to do it and learned through trial & error. I didn’t see a foam armor tutorial till I had already started doing it. But it was all practice at first. Still is, I’m always learning new techniques
The experience with EVA foam has also led you to run Cosplay Construction panels around it. How have those gone?
I love doing these panels. I’ve done 9 so far since 2014. I have filled up every panel I have done thus far, even landed a panel at NYCC 2015 with some friends of mine, so I am hoping to do another at NYCC this year. Fingers Crossed. I have been asked for a while to make YouTube tutorial videos on EVA Foam cosplay armor. But by the time I was doing armor I was also in school & working full time, so I never had the time to do so. But I may get around to it now that I’m a graduate. I have some ideas I want to launch during the summer.
By following you on Social Media, you definitely are a fan of the fighting game genre. From Mortal Kombat, to Injustice and even Street Fighter! Do you have a specific favorite fighting game you play? What are your thoughts on Injustice 2?
 Fighting Games are actually my favorite genre of videogames. I love playing them. My favorite fighting game is Marvel VS Capcom 2 and I still play it every now and then. My current favorite fighting game has to be Killer Instinct since I remember playing the originals in high school & earlier in college all the time. The new Killer Instinct is phenomenal. The characters, gameplay, and visuals really impress me and I got addicted easily. My favorites are Fulgore, Maya, & Cinder
Photo by David Ngo
You’ve done numerous versions of characters, Cyborg being one of them! Is there a particular favorite you have of him? I imagine there were challenges to making him right?
Honestly yeah. My first attempt fell through at NYCC 2014 due to time. But for NYCC 2015 I was able to do him. I learned a lot from the costume so I did my own version. I constantly want to improve on my costumes because I always feel I can do something better. I’m my own worst critic I swear. But I actually have other versions planned for him & I have started. My favorite has to be his Cyborg 2.0 look from the New 52’s Forever Evil Storyline since he’s much more streamline and fits my body type perfectly. Close second would be his new “Cyborg 3.0 a.k.a Cyborg Rebirth” design from the latest comics because it looks awesome and again fits my body type perfectly.. However I’m planning something big for Cyborg at NYCC this year… really big
On top of the many things you do for the community with your panels and whatnot, you also take commissions! Do you have a favorite commission you’ve done? Why is it your favorite?I do love doing commissions because it gives me a chance to spread out and try new techniques on armor & prop making. I don’t really think I have a favorite but I do have a commission I’ll be working on soon for a very special occasion but I can’t speak much on it at the moment
What do you think about cosplay as it is now hitting the mainstream?Some people hate it. I get why but I personally don’t care to be honest. Anyone should be able to be a part of this hobby and cosplay whatever they want, however they want. Just no more stupid drama added please
Do you have any upcoming cosplays for this year that you’re able to share?
Well currently I’m working through my backlog of costumes I have started but didn’t finish due to school & lack of time. So My Batwing, Green Lantern, Dr. Doom, Cyborg 2.0, & Batman PlayArts Kai Variant I am putting the finishing touches on before I paint them up & finally shoot them all. I also started working on my Genji cosplay from Overwatch. I have a long list of costumes I want to do & finish before the year is over with. And I am getting ready for Dragon Con and NYCC soon after… I’ll be pretty busy hahahahaha
Photo by Chi-O Photography
Do you imagine cosplaying being a part of your life within the next 5 years and do you hope to evolve your skill set?
I honestly do. I’m hooked Lol I gave myself a bit of a hiatus. And only made costumes during school breaks. I was a little burnt out in 2014 before going back to school but throughout my time in school I learned new techniques and honed my craft. So now that I am a lot more confident in my skills & I graduated from school I have A LOT of costumes I want to do, a list of things I want to start doing, and a lot of cons I hope to attend.
What’s a day in the life of Spectra? Where did the name Spectra come from?
Besides working as an assistant to a Wedding Coordinator/Event Planner by day, I’m usually distracted easily by things but I still manage to make time to indulge in all my hobbies when I can. Such as cosplay making, comics, video games, exercising, Capoeira, hanging out with friends, vibing out to music, and eating… lots of eating Lol. Spectra was actually a nickname I took on in 10th grade of high School when my best friend mispronounced Spectre as Spectra. I liked the way it sounded, thought it sounded cooler so I stuck with it and used it as an alias since.
Any upcoming game releases you’re looking forward to?
After E3 I made up a whole list of games I want to get. But my top 3 right now are Scalebound, Injustice 2, and the new God Of War. I’m hoping to start streaming soon so I can play all these games and more on Twitch.
Do you have a favorite convention?
Honestly and I’m gonna cheat here. It's a 3 Way tie between Colossal Con, Dragon Con, and NYCC. I love these cons and I will always attend them no matter what. I have some of my best con experiences at these cons and made a lot of good friends and got close to a lot of people at them.

If you had the opportunity to have a “match/fight” with any character from any fighting game, who would you pick?
That’s a hard one because in this day and age, a lot of match-ups have already been made due to crossover games. But there is one crossover that hasn’t happened that I would love to see but it would probably never happen. Ryu VS Scorpion, Street Fighter VS Mortal Kombat! It needs to be a real video game!
Photo by David Ngo

Photo by Knightmare6 Photography
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hopefully these answers give you a good look at Spectra's cosplay life! He gave such great answers and I'm always looking forward to see what he's making next! All the thanks to him for giving me this opportunity! If you guys want to keep up with Spectra, check out these links below!https://www.facebook.com/SpectraCos
https://twitter.com/Spectra_Cosplay
https://www.instagram.com/spectracos/

What's Popular?