Skip to main content

Latest Podcast Episode

Featured

Shutting One Door, Keeping others Open

UPDATED ON 8/20/21: Facebook, Patreon and Blog IG pages have been shutdown/discontinued As the COVID pandemic rages on and cons are even shutting down into 2021, it got me thinking on a drive home one night about how I'd feel with even coming back to blogging. When cons eventually do come back at some point. Truth be told, many of the posts and content I shared here could be transferred over to more discussions via my podcast CosplayBytes. I've been blogging my love for games, cons and cosplay for 7 years now and maybe it's time to say goodbye for now? My podcast has gotten me some incredible opportunities as a member of Press for conventions, and the rapid love I've had for streaming is also taking up a lot of time now. On top of multiple personal things on my end, I don't think I have the energy to keep this up even post COVID you know? The very first cosplay centered post I wrote was on Jessica Nigri's Deadpool, and since then it's spawned over 800 posts

Cosplayer Interview: Becka Noel!

Photo by Ron Gejon Photography
I'm incredibly excited to share one insanely talented individual for you all today. Chances are if you've seen cosplay armored groups such as the Warrior My Little Ponies, Valkyreevees and several others, the concepts were thought of by Becka Noel. She has such an imaginative mind and the ending result (case in point check out my Valkyreevee Showcase post) is always amazing. I got a chance to interview Becka about her interests and how cosplay entered into her life and it definitely was a delightful read. She always grew up being into gaming and comics thanks to her brothers which then came to her entry into cosplay after her visit to NYCC several years back. Becka's first cosplay was the Arkham Asylum version of Harley Quinn. Due to her being new into sewing, duct tape was used mostly.

One thing that you'll see is that Becka really loves to add in that badass element for her cosplays. She even admits that she's not really a "girly girl" so as such, adding in that aspect is taken into account with most of her cosplays. Her Battle Scarred Vegeta is a great example of this, in addition other characters in her portfolio include Wonder Woman, Warrior Pinkie Pie, League of Legends, and many more. Becka feels like she's the only geek as she mentions her family consists of doctors, lawyers and other high end professional jobs. There's also insight into all the work and coordination that went in with the Valkyreevee group at Katsucon earlier this year.

Photo by Anna Cosplay Photography
While I did ask about Becka's upcoming cosplay slate, she wasn't able to tell what she has planned. On account of her mind constantly changing. Her daily life consists of crafting either on her own cosplays or commissions while Skyping with friends. There's also adding in her gym visits with her fiance late at night. Upcoming game releases Becka's excited for include For Honor and Mass Effect: Andromeda. Overall I loved getting to know Becka a little more and this makes me more excited to hopefully meeting her at NYCC this year! I hope you guys enjoy the questions!
----------------------------------------------------------

What got you into cosplay and how long have you been doing it?
I've been cosplaying for almost five years now.  My background is in art and I've always had a serious obsession with costumes and dressing up.  I'm also a gamer and love fantasy related anything.  The first year my fiance (Dhareza Cosplayza) took me to New York Comic Con, I instantly fell in love and knew that I had to cosplay!

Which cosplay was the first you ever created?
Arkham Asylum Harley Quinn was the first cosplay I ever made.  And since I didn't know how to sew at the time, I made the entire thing out of duct tape, with a few items re purposed from around the apartment.

Thinking back to the last convention you were at, did you enjoy it?
My last con was Anime Fan Fest in New Jersey and I had a great time!  It was my second time as a convention guest and I really enjoyed meeting a lot of people and other cosplayers.  Everybody was super nice :)

What cosplay(s) did you bring to this convention?
I wore battle damaged Vegeta and Warrior Pinkie Pie
 
Photo by Dhareza Cosplayza
What is your favorite cosplay you’ve made so far?
That's tough!  I love them all for various reasons but my favorite is a tie between Warrior Red Riding Hood and Valkyreevee Eevee.  They both had such amazing details and I feel like a badass in them, haha.

What got you into being a geek?
I've always been one, I just became a bigger geek in my adult years :P

Do you have any other members of your family who are into what you enjoy? Or are you at present the only “geek” in the family?
I'm the only one :) I come from a family of doctors, lawyers, teachers and business professionals, haha.  But my brother's are definitely the ones who got me into gaming.

A lot of your cosplays stem from all over the place. Including your mashups of various characters with adding armor. Do you have a favorite area to cosplay from like video games or anime?
I tend to lean towards video game or comic characters.  I'm not very into anime even though I've tried numerous times, haha.

I found your work through your many group cosplays with other cosplayers I follow like Joanna Mari, Jessica Nigri and various other ladies. You’ve had some part in the many armored versions of characters seen in the last few years! What is it about armor specifically that you love the most?
I just think armor is so interesting!  It's not something you get to wear ordinarily and to me, it transports you to a whimsical and fantastical world or time.  I may have been born on Earth in the 20th century, but I'm pretty sure I was meant to be born in a magical land in a time with mythical creatures!

Photo by Jason Chau Photography
One such group was the more recent Valkyrie versions of all the Eeveelutions. That must have been a big undertaking with coordinating between the other members not to mention working with fellow cosplayer Gladzy Kei and illustrator Zach Fischer! What was it like creating your Eevee? I imagine there were pros and cons overall with its creation right?
Yes, that was a really fun group!  Working with Gladzy and Zach was amazing because they are both so talented and I have been a longtime admirer of their work.  I think we were really lucky because everybody worked very well together and got along great (some of us met for the first time at Katsucon!).  Having a big group can be tough, so when everybody works together well and things go smoothly, it's extra nice!  I think the biggest concern for all of us was just getting everything done in time for Katsucon.  Sticking to deadlines, helping and encouraging each other when needed is really important.  Also, having your actual costume day planned out is necessary with such a large group.

Another cosplay you’ve done is an intense battle scarred Vegeta from Dragon Ball Z! That must have been fun to dirty up and add the various chip marks right?
I love adding battle damage to my costumes and making them feel "lived in."  It makes them seem more realistic.

One common theme I’ve noticed for most of your cosplays is that element of just being a badass. Is that something you try to incorporate with your designs? I know some don’t fall into that category like your beautiful Sakizou cosplay!
Absolutely.  I'm really not a girly girl, so my preferences in costuming and cosplay tends to lean a little more on the badass side :)

What do you think about cosplay as it is now hitting the mainstream?
Well, I'm glad it did so it can reach more people who may not have known about it (like me).  I believe in sharing things I love with other people, no matter who they are or what they do.  And really, who doesn't love dressing up in costume? Haha.

Do you have any upcoming cosplays for this year that you’re able to share?
I usually try to have a loose idea of all my cosplays for the year, but it often changes so much!  For this reason, I try to not share my plans until I'm actually making something because I don't want people to be disappointed.  It's not about secrecy, my mind just changes so much!

Photo by Owen Long 
Do you imagine cosplaying being a part of your life within the next 5 years and do you hope to evolve your skill set?
I expect I'll be cosplaying into my old age, haha.  I hope so!  As an artist, I am always evolving and changing; it's how I grow :)

What’s a day in the life of Becka Noel?
I'm a morning person and usually up around 7ish without an alarm.  I feed my cats and get dressed and grab a chai tea from Starbucks.  Lately, I start work on whatever commission and/or cosplay I'm doing and at some point in the day I'll Skype/craft with friends.  Some days I do costume errands like buying fabric or something.  I normally do costume work until around 8-9pm and have dinner with my fiance (Dhareza Cosplayza).  Then we train at the gym at 12 midnight for an hour or so which is followed by sleep!

Any upcoming game releases you’re looking forward to?
I'm seriously looking forward to For Honor!  It looks so rad!  Also can't wait for the new Mass Effect.  I've been a long time lover of the Mass Effect series.

Photo by DL Photography
Do you have a favorite convention?
Katsucon!  Or as I like to call it, FriendCon :) I also love C2E2 in Chicago which is like a smaller, more intimate version of NYCC.

Given your artistic skills and imaginative mind with designing, is there any kind of mash-up that you’d consider to be a dream project for you?
Yes, absolutely!  But if I told you, I'd have to kill you :) These I do keep secret!

Photo by Dhareza Cosplayza
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I can't thank Becka Noel enough for giving me the opportunity to interview her. It was definitely well worth the wait for getting the answers back. I highly recommend you check out her Social Media pages and keep an eye on her work. Check out the links down below!

What's Popular?