Skip to main content

Latest Podcast Episode

Featured

Shutting One Door, Keeping others Open

UPDATED ON 8/20/21: Facebook, Patreon and Blog IG pages have been shutdown/discontinued As the COVID pandemic rages on and cons are even shutting down into 2021, it got me thinking on a drive home one night about how I'd feel with even coming back to blogging. When cons eventually do come back at some point. Truth be told, many of the posts and content I shared here could be transferred over to more discussions via my podcast CosplayBytes. I've been blogging my love for games, cons and cosplay for 7 years now and maybe it's time to say goodbye for now? My podcast has gotten me some incredible opportunities as a member of Press for conventions, and the rapid love I've had for streaming is also taking up a lot of time now. On top of multiple personal things on my end, I don't think I have the energy to keep this up even post COVID you know? The very first cosplay centered post I wrote was on Jessica Nigri's Deadpool, and since then it's spawned over 800 posts

Game Review: Bravely Second: End Layer


For my Review on the Bravely Second demo, click here!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I regarded Bravely Default: Flying Fairy as one of the must play RPG's that came out recently for this generation. Shortly after the game was released, a sequel was well under development which we wouldn't get until several weeks ago. Bravely Second: End Layer takes place about two years after the defeat of Ouroboros and Luxendarc being saved. Immediately, the game opens up with a monumental event being crashed by your new foe. The Kaiser Oblivion has arrived and wipes out your party consisting of retuning characters Agnes Oblige (now residing as Pope), the Grand Marshal of Eternia, Alternis, and newcomer Yew Geneolgia. Yew wakes up feeling helpless and now embarks on a quest to save her Holiness from the Kaiser's clutches.

Your return to this magical world is met with deceit, betrayal and some interesting twists as the plot develops. It's not incredibly long until you add the food obsessed Edea Lee, along with Tiz Arrior to your party. Filling in the last slot is Magnolia Arch who hails from the Moon which was recently ravaged by a beast known as a Ba'al. Dubbing herself as a Ba'al Buster, she comes to Luxendarc for revenge and joins you as your interests line up with one another. The job system makes a triumphant with dozens of new jobs as well as ones from the previous entry. You're left with making multiple combinations to get an effective team that can decimate your foes.

Do you want to assume stances as a Fencer? Gain double potency of healing with the Bishop or make delicious cakes as a Patissier? Most of the new job astericks come from the Kaiser's new lieutenants who have sided with him to accomplish his dream of denying the world everyone lives in. Many former jobs like the Knight, Summoner, and Templar make an appearance too. These are gained by a series of side quests that pit two jobs together, forcing you to make a decision. It's not too game changing as the side you go against can be obtained later in the game.

The battle system is pretty much unchanged from Bravely Default. As in the name, you gather Brave Points (BP) after every turn. More BP allows you to chain moves together and act multiple times in a turn. Though too much of it can leave you doing nothing. Default is basically this game's Defend option. Less damage is received and you gain BP in the process. Every class has a Special Move that's designated to whatever weapon you equip. These abilities give the party buffs and last about as long as the character's theme song goes (which plays in the background when activated). If you time it right and activate another Special Move before the previous one runs out, you get double effects.

Meet Agnes' Ba'al Busting Avengers!
To make leveling easier, Consecutive Battles is introduced in Bravely Second. If you manage to strike down your foes within one turn, you have the option to keep going with no reset to your BP value. This allows a multiplier to rack up for more experience, pg (the money), and job points. I found myself exploiting one trick to ensure a truly jacked up team of people. I've always had a fondness for the Ninja class so that definitely made its way as one of the jobs used in my main party. It's hilarious that my two Main groups utilized two of the new jobs introduced. You're allowed to save favorite configurations up to 10 times for fast switching on the go. The notion of Bravely Second also returns where depending on how much SP you have, you can freeze time and consecutively attack. Surpassing the damage limit too! Some of the things I loved about the first game are even more present here and make Bravely Second so enjoyable.

Those being the art style and the music. The towns especially have a beautiful blend of 3D buildings with 2D painted backdrops. The music is upbeat and calming, some of the character themes like Yew's have grown on me. I totally fangirled when old themes played like Edea's when she first arrived in the story. StreetPassing also returns in the form of rebuilding Magnolia's home of Fort Lune. Much like the reconstruction of Norende, you build and level up areas to access new Special Moves, items, and attributes. The time it takes for each place to level up varies on how many people you send to work.

Al-Khampis looks gorgeous
I don't have that many complaints towards End Layer. Some Reviews I read that the voice acting was a bit unbearable and the story was predictable in certain areas. I admit I did find myself seeing certain plot twists coming but the voice acting grew on me. Yes, even Yew's catchphrase of "Going for the Gravy"....like who even says that? What's so special about gravy? I mean yea it goes good with Mashed Potatoes but that's it!

There's one particular part of the game that had me geeking out for cosplay reasons so if you guys do play this, you might know which quest I'm talking about. At the point of this Review going up, I managed to max out all my characters in both level and several jobs. I even cleared through the Ultimate Boss found in the post game areas. Nowadays, I plan on leveling a few more jobs for Yew and his friends. Bravely Second: End Layer refined the Brave/Default system, added in new elements and introduced many new and entertaining jobs!

WHO WANTS SOME CAKE?
What a typical battle looks like
The Seat of the Orthodoxy

Should you Play this Game?
Yes! Bravely Second: End Layer is an amazing sequel to a critically acclaimed RPG. Likable characters, beautiful scenery and music make the somewhat predictable story worth it. Not to mention the Battle System is great for devising strategies. The new jobs introduced allow for even more customization!


What's Popular?