Skip to main content

Latest Podcast Episode

Featured

Shutting One Door, Keeping others Open

UPDATED ON 8/20/21: Facebook, Patreon and Blog IG pages have been shutdown/discontinued As the COVID pandemic rages on and cons are even shutting down into 2021, it got me thinking on a drive home one night about how I'd feel with even coming back to blogging. When cons eventually do come back at some point. Truth be told, many of the posts and content I shared here could be transferred over to more discussions via my podcast CosplayBytes. I've been blogging my love for games, cons and cosplay for 7 years now and maybe it's time to say goodbye for now? My podcast has gotten me some incredible opportunities as a member of Press for conventions, and the rapid love I've had for streaming is also taking up a lot of time now. On top of multiple personal things on my end, I don't think I have the energy to keep this up even post COVID you know? The very first cosplay centered post I wrote was on Jessica Nigri's Deadpool, and since then it's spawned over 800 posts

Cosplay Feature: Ely Renae's Lich King!

Photo by Sara Lynn Photography
With this feature, I'm wrapping up my Katsucon cosplay coverage. Sorry it's taken me so long to get through some of my favorites for you guys! I thought what way to end it off then with something truly epic. Cosplayer Ely Renae is someone I've been following since probably the later half of 2015. She's also one of many cosplayers who's taken an interest in Patreon. I bring that up because her Lich King cosplay was at the focus for some time on it and those who were part of it saw its creation. Myself included, Ely documented the process with pictures and write ups of what she did. This made her Lich King more and more excited for me to see when it was finished! Her Lich King consists of what you'd expect for a female to wear in battle and Ely went to no expense in making it so badass. Shoulder pieces, a breastplate, and various armor pieces on her legs and arms make up the outfit roughly.

Photo by Blizzard Terrak
In terms of construction, Ely showed off using black Worbla and foam. At around the time she was making it, clear Worbla was also being introduced. She though it'd be perfect in creating icicles which you can see throughout the cosplay. White fur is seen along the edge of her arm guards and her boots for support. The latter in which look pretty giant. Plus, I imagine they help with comfort....somewhat anyways. Underneath certain pieces can be glimpses of chainmail which Ely also formed. The various skull pieces were sculpted and placed on to the Worbla as she was making the armor.

Spikes can be seen protruding off to the side of certain areas too! With this being the king of the undead, you're not getting any bright colors with grey, black and gold being primary elements here. I absolutely love Ely's wig as it's the perfect shade of gray and its length is just so beautiful! Course, you can't talk about Arthas' evil form without mention of that hungry sword of his. Yup, Ely went and crafted Frostmourne, and it's freaking badass! Foam was used in its base construction and then Worbla (my guess) layered on top of it. Icicles can be seen coming off the hilt which is so rad! Sculpted faces are also seen as are the rune symbols alongside the blade. Plus, it lights up so you can't get any more on point! The edges of the blade look precisely cut and curved, Oh and I almost forgot about the long cape that's seen coming off the back. The edges near the bottom of it are coated white to give off that snow illusion. Northrend isn't a spring filled area!

The pictures and poses capture everything about this cosplay and I love it so much. Hopefully you guys will feel the same way! Check them out below!

Photo by Dosik Lens 
Photo by Jo Bevvy Cosplay and Photography
Photo by Martin Wong
Photo by Alexandra Lee Studios
I highly encourage you guys to check out Ely Renae's FB page if you have the time. Her work is simply outstanding and I look forward to seeing her again sometime this year! SHE'S SO RAD :D

What's Popular?