Skip to main content

Latest Podcast Episode

Featured

Shutting One Door, Keeping others Open

UPDATED ON 8/20/21: Facebook, Patreon and Blog IG pages have been shutdown/discontinued As the COVID pandemic rages on and cons are even shutting down into 2021, it got me thinking on a drive home one night about how I'd feel with even coming back to blogging. When cons eventually do come back at some point. Truth be told, many of the posts and content I shared here could be transferred over to more discussions via my podcast CosplayBytes. I've been blogging my love for games, cons and cosplay for 7 years now and maybe it's time to say goodbye for now? My podcast has gotten me some incredible opportunities as a member of Press for conventions, and the rapid love I've had for streaming is also taking up a lot of time now. On top of multiple personal things on my end, I don't think I have the energy to keep this up even post COVID you know? The very first cosplay centered post I wrote was on Jessica Nigri's Deadpool, and since then it's spawned over 800 posts

Cosplayer Interview: Karlibra

Photo by David Ngo
Do I have an awesome treat for you guys today. By now you probably know I fangirl all the time whenever Karlibra posts cosplay pics on her pages. Simply put, I adore this girl and am so glad she gave me this opportunity to interview her. The wait was certainly worth it as Karli gave me new information considering the fact that she's had a considerable amount of convention experience along with cosplays. Seeing her Riku genderbend was pretty much love at first site and she's been nothing but a fantastic friend and supporter. Stationed on the West Coast in SoCal, Karli sort of fell into cosplay. Surprisingly she's only been doing this hobby for 5 months? THAT'S INSANE! Starting off with a store-brought Daenerys from Game of Thrones, she quickly went to create her own outfits after fully discovering cosplay at Comikaze.

This is where she truly showed off her love for one of her all time favorite characters with Riku. Specifically, she made his design from Kingdom Hearts 2. Complete with an Oblivion keyblade! The weapon was a brought prop but that didn't stop her from eventually creating keyblades for the other KH outfits done. In fact, Karli finds making them to be very enjoyable! Other cosplays include Misa from Death Note and most recently, her Saeko Busujima from High School of the Dead. Karli actually introduced me to the anime (fan-service good lord 0-0) which made me love the cosplay even more. IT'S SEXY AND KARLI NAILS IT! Most of the questions are revolved around her love of Kingdom Hearts along with getting into Final Fantasy with the Sephiroth she made!

Photo by David Ngo
In addition, you'll also get to see how Karli became introduced to the geeky life for her. Mainly all thanks to the Internet. She also expresses the appreciation she receives from her family who lives back where she was originally from (Ohio!). Cosplay for Karli has taught a lot about herself especially when it came to moving and living on her own. She also states the importance of cosplaying with regards to sexuality, race, gender and how we all as a culture should unite with what we love instead of putting each other down, Something you definitely see online on forums and even some cosplayer pages.

Other questions include the many aspects of cosplay that Karli loves as well as the usual funny stuff and personal with getting to know her more! Enjoy guys!
----------------------------------------------------------
What got you into cosplay and how long have you been doing it?
I fell into cosplay! I went to Comikaze as a store bought Daenerys costume, and people responded so well to it that it inspired me to start actually hand making/sewing costumes and give it a try. So officially I would say I've been Cosplaying for 5 months, I don't count Comikaze, and instead consider WonderCon my first real go at cosplay! However, that doesn't make store bought costumes any less significant than handmade, it's just I didn't go into Comikaze with the MINDSET that I was in cosplay, I was simply thrilled to be in costume in public! And I suppose that's what it's all about right?! 

Which cosplay was the first you ever created?
The first cosplay I ever made was my Riku genderbend! 

Thinking back to the last convention you were at, did you enjoy it?
The last convention I was at was Long Beach Comic Con! I had a lot of fun being surrounded by all of my friends!

What cosplay(s) did you bring to this convention? 
I brought my Repliku and my Saeko Busujima!
Photo by David Ngo

What is your favorite cosplay you’ve made so far?
I think it's a tie between my Sephiroth and my Repliku because I felt most confident in those, but my original Riku has a special place in my heart.

What got you into being a geek?
Having the Internet and technology from a young age! 

Do you have any other members of your family who are into what you enjoy? Or are you at present the only “geek” in the family?
All of my immediate family is beyond supportive of my Cosplaying! I shared a video interview I did with my dad yesterday and he said he was proud of how confident I appeared in it and said he would never be able to do that. I think my dad is a technology junkie but isn't into video games or Japanese anime or anything or even comic books, but I think he geeks out over cars and new Apple products. My mom is more of a nature and art person, and my sister is a geek about some anime, and TV series on Netflix/HBO but mostly interested in nature and dancing and arts. 

So it looks like you have a strong passion for cosplaying from video games. Do you find that to be true or are there other geeky outlets you cosplay from?
I don't consider myself a gamer whatsoever, but the games I have played I am very in love with! My parents didn't really get me too many games as a kid, but I would always rent SSX, Portal Runner, and Summer Heat Beach Volley Ball for PS2, would play Super Mario at my neighbors house, Pokémon/Donkey Kong at my friends, and would watch people play Final Fantasy/Assassin’s Creed/Portal 2. I like anything with a story, but I also am OBSESSED with the Sims franchise and have owned all generations of the game with MOST expansion packs! I would love to cosplay from more games but I need to play more! I actually think I have more Anime cosplays I'm interested in doing than video game!

You already know that I found you through your amazing Riku gender bend you debuted at Wonder*Con. I pretty much gushed as much as I could in the feature I did on it. What was it like for you to make his outfit? Along with the Oblivion Keyblade?
Making his outfit wasn't too difficult but I did it during a tough moment in my life because I had been through a rough living situation that almost left me living out of my car had my ex's parents not offered me their couch to sleep on for nearly 2 months. I was in between moving from place to place and things kept failing so I had nowhere else to turn since my family is mostly all in Ohio. It was a very sad and uncomfortable time for me, but it taught me a lot about myself and to be grateful for at least having a roof over my head and was lucky they allowed me to be crafty while I was there to keep my spirits up until I found a permanent place to live. I actually bought the Oblivion! But I love making keyblades now!
Photo by Coslife
You also love Final Fantasy on top of Kingdom Hearts. One of your recent cosplays is Sephiroth and if memory serves, you’re creating his One Winged Angel form from KH? Watching the whole process through your Instagram pictures is truly amazing and inspiring. What was it like creating him, from the crazy long blade to the harness for his wing? Why did you choose to cosplay Sephiroth?
I'm familiar with most Final Fantasy characters because of Kingdom Hearts, because of their beautiful and visually stunning graphics, and because of their amazing soundtracks. However, I have actually never played Final Fantasy to completion. Just a little of Final Fantasy 9 and some of the new Final Fantasy Type 0. I know Sephiroth because of Kingdom Hearts and so that's why I did that version of him, even though I prefer his all black getup and it would have been MUCH easier to not have to make the wing but I always wanted to be him. I always found him to be beautiful and such a strong villain and perhaps misunderstood. It was very rewarding once I was all finished and for people to like it as much as they did.

In keeping with the KH theme, you’ve also created Kairi’s look from the second game! In comparison to the Oblivion keyblade what was it like creating her weapon? 
Her weapon was hell to make and my only advice is to use templates and to not use such heavy materials. I now know that Styrofoam is NOT the best option, and to instead use foam poster board! That's what I do, at least! Everyone has his or her own preference but that's easily available to me, so it's what I choose!
Photo by Joits Photography
Is there any sub topic within the cosplay community which you’re very passionate about? Like the whole Cosplay does not Equal Consent movement or gender bending?
I think that just the whole topic of gender and sexuality is important to me and my goal is to make everyone feel comfortable and confident in their skin to be whomever it is that they want. As much as I would love to talk about Cosplay is not Consent, I feel like there needs to be more focus on making people feel unafraid to be themselves when at cons, and to know that regardless of how people may treat them in their everyday, that cons should be a safe place for them to make friends and be themselves...no matter their age, weight, race, gender, sexuality, status, cosplay skill level, experience or knowledge of certain fandom. Everyone needs to come together and unite as lovers for nerd culture.

With living on the West Coast (SO FAR AWAY!), what’s cosplay like down there? I know you get some of the big cons like Anime Expo and SDCC!
I absolutely love living on the west coast! I don't think I'd want to be cosplaying anywhere else! Of course, back home in Ohio I would probably have more space to work on stuff, but I would much rather have less space here and more cons to go to! It's nice getting to see my friends so frequently!

Recently you were working on and finished a dream cosplay of yours with Replica Riku seen in Kingdom Hearts 1 and Chain Of Memories. As a result, I fangirled like crazy, creating the bodysuit must have been interesting for you! What else about this outfit did you enjoy creating?
I think the keyblade was my favorite part! I love when people ask me about it or ask to hold it! It's cool when people can have fun or feel powerful when holding a creation of mine that all once started out as poster board, wooden dowel, and newspaper. My brain tends to visually deconstruct it when I look at it, but I'm glad it looks magical to other people! 

Photo by NELSPHOTO
So with all these Kingdom Hearts cosplays, I think it’s a pretty solid bet that it’s one of your all time favorite series, if not your most favorite! What about the game ignited your love for the games that eventually caused you to cosplay from it multiple times?
I just wanted to do what I was most passionate about first, before I started being other characters! But now that I keep watching other anime, I want to branch out of KH, although I'm glad it's what helped me gain exposure as someone who does KH cosplays! I'm definitely not finished with Cosplaying KH, and have many ideas in mind; however, I want to take a break after next month to work on new stuff!

What aspect of cosplay do you enjoy the most? Gathering the materials, designing the character, forming the armor? That kind of stuff!
I can't even decide, I love it all as a whole! EVERYTHING!! It's how I can be creative and meet like-minded people. It combines all of my interests into one and allows me to make memories with amazing people!

What do you think about cosplay as it is now hitting the mainstream?
I am not sure, I don't really think about it! I don't know what to compare it to since I just started but I'm definitely learning the ropes to this world because there sort of is some business involved but nothing serious. I definitely think it is very important to be very kind to everyone you meet, whether they are new or experienced. Everyone deserves the same treatment, so just be nice!

Do you have any upcoming cosplays for this year that you’re able to share?
I am going to be Envy from Full Metal Alchemist and a fellow cosplayer friend is going to be Lust with me...I'm going to be Rapidash in a very large Pokémon group, and I'm also working on doing a genderbend Light from Death Note!


Do you imagine cosplaying being a part of your life within the next 5 years and do you hope to evolve your skill set?
I think it will be! I want to become more experienced with my sewing machine and with weapon making. I haven't even touched Worbla yet!

Photo by Wintons Photography
What’s a day in the life of Karli?
I work full time! When I'm not working, I'm in my car listening to classical music, gathering supplies, working on cosplays, or hanging with my friends! We like to get tea and vegan ice cream and go to Disneyland. We are all weirdos so it's fun.

Any upcoming game releases you’re looking forward to?
Is that even a question, James? KINGDOM HEARTS 3!

Do you have a favorite convention?
Anime Expo!! I loved how long of a con it was but I was DEAD by the end of it! I also really liked LBCC, because I got to hang with my friends more.

If you could switch lives with a Kingdom Hearts Character, who would it be and why?

Probably Sora only because he gets to travel to all the different worlds but I imagine id also get stressed it being him...SO DUH IMMA SAY RIKU!!


Photo by Coslife 
Photo by Patrick Nguyen
Photo by Coslife
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This was such a fun interview to do with Karli and I definitely learned a lot more about her! I know I mention her often on my blog as well as my other social media sites but please do consider following her cosplay adventures! One day we'll meet and it'll be THE BEST :D. This was such a great opportunity and I can't thank Karli enough for giving me such fantastic answers <3.
https://www.facebook.com/karlibracosplay
https://instagram.com/karlibra/

What's Popular?