Skip to main content

Latest Podcast Episode

Featured

Shutting One Door, Keeping others Open

UPDATED ON 8/20/21: Facebook, Patreon and Blog IG pages have been shutdown/discontinued As the COVID pandemic rages on and cons are even shutting down into 2021, it got me thinking on a drive home one night about how I'd feel with even coming back to blogging. When cons eventually do come back at some point. Truth be told, many of the posts and content I shared here could be transferred over to more discussions via my podcast CosplayBytes. I've been blogging my love for games, cons and cosplay for 7 years now and maybe it's time to say goodbye for now? My podcast has gotten me some incredible opportunities as a member of Press for conventions, and the rapid love I've had for streaming is also taking up a lot of time now. On top of multiple personal things on my end, I don't think I have the energy to keep this up even post COVID you know? The very first cosplay centered post I wrote was on Jessica Nigri's Deadpool, and since then it's spawned over 800 posts

Cosplayer Interview: Gemgem Cosplay!

Photo by Decade Three Photography
I'm very happy to have for you all a new cosplayer interview with another of my favorite Australian based ladies! Gemgem Cosplay was someone I found through her friend and fellow cosplayer Kayla Erin a few months back. Since then I've instantly fallen for her talent and personality. I've featured her before so it was only a matter of time before I managed to have her be more than happy to let me interview her. Gem has believe it or not been cosplaying for just about a year after getting into it from her friends. She actually has always been into geeky things but her boyfriend has managed to introduce her to many other things that she wasn't aware of. Though when it comes to her cosplays, Gem has taken noticed that most of her characters are from the comic side with DC being her favorite (that's a YAY in my book! :D). She strives to choose characters that not only are favorites, but ones that challenge her as well.

Gem's favorite cosplay is a tie between Artemis from Young Justice and the Cinderella which you see above! I mentioned in the questions how Sylveon was not only my personal favorite but one of the first ones I saw that made me a fan of her work. Gem states that she soon fell in love with how cute the Pokemon was as she was creating the gijinka. Not to mention the fact that also pink is her favorite color. Having been to many cons where she's located, Gem hopes to travel to the US to experience some of the conventions there with Dragon*Con being one of the top cons on her list.

Photo by MKAU Gaming Australia
In the interview you get to hear Gem's take on how she feels about cosplay entering mainstream popularity, her earliest memory of cosplaying and her upcoming outfits. There's also a glimpse at her loving friendship with Kayla on top of what she hopes to create/learn with cosplay as she continues expressing her love through the hobby. I thoroughly enjoyed the answers Gem gave me and I hope you all do as well :D <3.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
What got you into cosplay and how long have you been doing it?
A year and a bit now, and it was my friends that got me into it
Which cosplay was the first you ever created?
Created would be Darth Vader girl for Sydney Oz comic con
Thinking back to the last convention you were at, did you enjoy it?
Sydney Supanova was my most recent convention and yes i had a fantastic time :)
What cosplay(s) did you bring to this convention?
On Friday I was Billy the Puppet from Saw, Saturday I was Black Cat, and Sunday I was a female Joker.
Photo by Decade Three Photography
What is your favorite cosplay you’ve made so far?
So far it would be between Artemis and Cinderella
What got you into being a geek?
My boyfriend actually, I have always been pretty geeky but he definitely showed me more things I didn’t know before
Do you have any other members of your family who are into what you enjoy? Or are you at present the only "geek" in the family?
Ah, well my dad is a geek and he loves that I cosplay! He made the bow for Artemis and he is always offering to help me with props which is great .
From looking at your cosplays, you seem to have a pretty well rounded collection of outfits from all forms of media, with comics being a bit more present (at least to me)! Do you enjoy cosplaying certain characters over another? Comic book characters > Anime characters for example.
I certainly enjoy doing comic related cosplays, mainly DC, but to be honest no there isn’t one thing I stick to. I’d rather make the cosplays that inspire and challenge me to do more and test myself.
Photo by What A Big Camera
I feel like I should definitely mention how your best friend Kayla Erin was how I found you possibly a year ago? If anything several months ago since I can’t remember! The two of you have become such amazing friends and I honestly just love seeing the crazy/awesome things you both get into. Aside from hanging out regularly, what’s it like cosplaying with her at conventions and all that?
It’s extremely fun. We are both crazy and over the top and just like being out there. Meeting new people and having fun at conventions!
One of my favorite cosplays of yours is one I featured on my blog a couple months back and that being your Sylveon gijinka! What was it like creating her and what made you go with the Fairy type out of all the other Eeveelutions?
Ha, first off thank you :) and I actually made that cosplay in the two days between Melbourne Supanova and Gold Coast Supanova that we had being home. I picked Sylveon mostly because it’s my favorite color, which is pink haha! So it started off for that reason and I just fell in love with how cute she is.
One of your upcoming cosplays is Alloy from the newly announced game Horizon Zero Dawn. When I first saw you were planning on making her, I instantly thought how much of a dead ringer she was for you. Your style along with your personality is a perfect match for her. Is there anything about the outfit you’re looking forward to creating? Dreading about? I imagine she won’t be easy!
Dreading is definitely the bow since it’s so crazy how detailed it is but the fact that Guerilla Gaming has brought out a cosplay guide is amazing. Looking forward to just working on the details though I think it’s the small things that make it extra special
Do you have a dream convention you’d like to attend one day? I know you and Kayla had expressed a desire to eventually travel to the U.S. for a convention!
Dragon*Con is definitely one I’d love to attend other wise and Comic con in the state really.
Photo by cru Photography
You recently travelled to Japan for the first time! Along with enjoying the pictures you’ve been posting, what was it like being there?
It was amazing such a beautiful place and I will definitely be going back again
What do you think about cosplay as it is now hitting the mainstream?
I think it’s great but as long as it stays the amazing community that it is I feel like at conventions we are one big happy family and I don't want anything to ruin that
Do you have any upcoming cosplays for this year that you’re able to share?
I will be doing Britney from Daria along with my friend as Kevin at Sydney Supanova and I will be making a crazy hipster Peach for PAX Aus as well
Do you imagine cosplaying being a part of your life within the next 5 years and do you hope to evolve your skill set?
Yes I would hope so. I feel like it’s apart of me so it’s something I would love to continue with for many years. Learn though, I would love to learn and master Worbla
What’s a day in the life of Gemgem Cosplay?
Ha! I work from 8 - 5 every day 6 days a week in a plumbing store and at night I’m home either looking at cosplay stuff or playing games online.
Photo by Volk Photography
Any upcoming game releases you’re looking forward to?
Battlefront and Horizon Zero Dawn
Do you have a favorite convention?
Gold Coast Supanova
If you had to live in a video game setting/world, which would you choose and why?

Even though its not out yet I feel like Horizon Zero Dawn would be amazing or Final Fantasy! I really want a Moogle.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There you have it! Gemgem Cosplay is an absolute sweetheart and has some exciting things planned for her cosplay life. To be honest, I'm still super honored/happy she follows my stuff and shows me such amazing support! I can't thank you enough Gem for all the work you put into this. Hope the drawing I made for you shows up safely :D. If you want to keep up with Gem's work, check out these links!
https://www.facebook.com/Gemgemcosplay
https://twitter.com/gemgemcosplay
https://instagram.com/gemgemcosplay

What's Popular?