Skip to main content

Latest Podcast Episode

Featured

Shutting One Door, Keeping others Open

UPDATED ON 8/20/21: Facebook, Patreon and Blog IG pages have been shutdown/discontinued As the COVID pandemic rages on and cons are even shutting down into 2021, it got me thinking on a drive home one night about how I'd feel with even coming back to blogging. When cons eventually do come back at some point. Truth be told, many of the posts and content I shared here could be transferred over to more discussions via my podcast CosplayBytes. I've been blogging my love for games, cons and cosplay for 7 years now and maybe it's time to say goodbye for now? My podcast has gotten me some incredible opportunities as a member of Press for conventions, and the rapid love I've had for streaming is also taking up a lot of time now. On top of multiple personal things on my end, I don't think I have the energy to keep this up even post COVID you know? The very first cosplay centered post I wrote was on Jessica Nigri's Deadpool, and since then it's spawned over 800 posts

Cosplay Showcase: Jessica Nigri's DEATHWING HOLY SHIT LADY!!

Photo by Dave Yang Photography
Something menacing for your Christmas this year! I was busy being at RI Comic Con while a handful of other cosplayers were kicking it up a notch over in California for BlizzCon. Jessica had been teasing that she's been working on a cosplay non stop in the weeks leading up to it. She also wanted this outfit to show everyone that her talents and abilities can do so much more than just what people know her by. When images of what she was cosplaying started popping up, I took one look and my jaw was wide open. Along with my eyes widening thinking "WTF?! THAT'S HER?!". So yea, what you guys see above is Jessica Nigri's BlizzCon cosplay. Lady Deathwing in human form! In the span of 2 weeks (seriously that's her magic number for making cosplays), she went all crazy with the armor and detailing. I'll put it out there that I won't get everything that went into this cosplay, so Jess went and uploaded a video describing the process of creating Deathwing! I've got a link to it at the bottom of this post! So let's get into this shall we?

Photo by Martin Wong
The design of Deathwing was done up by Jess' friend Zach Fischer who she contacted awhile back to come up with something for her. The end result is something I at first couldn't wrap my head around with how it was made. For all of the pieces Jess used a combination of craft foam, EVA for the heavier pieces, and Worbla. The latter piece was used in both its normal form and the black version which to Jess was a lot more forgiving in places where she messed up. Apoxie sculpt was used of her jaw piece which is positioned so that it's moveable when she talks. There's also video of it producing a smoke like effect which is definitely fitting for the Dragon Aspect of Death!

The color palette for Deathwing is lots of black and gray for the armor. The lava pieces on her thigh and leg armor are actually small chunks of EVA foam. Red, orange and yellow paint was used to give that lava crack look. Her feet pieces are absolutely covered in them as you'll see in more pictures. Jessica mentions that it was the one part that was most tedious. The horns on the pauldrons and head/crown were done with pink insulation foam and I believe covered in black Worbla as well. Claws can be seen for her hands as well! Various chains of different lengths can be seen hanging off her belt and crown. Those were simply EVA foam cut into squares. Belt sanders and a dremel was used to help form the pieces to give it that natural look which you can see too!

Photo by John Jiao Photography
Jess chose a pitch black wig and fire like contacts to really bring Deathwing to life. Not to mention airbrushing herself a charcoal gray! There's a dark red/black cap flowing off her backside (you'll see the reasoning in her video as to why she added that in ^_^) which portrays a regal side I figure. The breastplate has this really awesome design with alternating strips of black and red/orange lava. From my time playing World of Warcraft, I definitely imagine Deathwing wearing this kind of armor if she were female. I'm going off of what Alexstraza and Ysera look like humanized. If you've played the game, then you'll probably know how skimpy yet crazy their outfits are! A white paint pen was used to add in little white extracts to make the armor pop and shine.

The photos taken of Jessica's Deathwing are absolutely phenomenal. She's either in a simple pose close up or full body, or giving a menacing roar with her arms extended and claws ready to strike. I've got a ton of other pictures to share with you guys so I hope you can appreciate and enjoy them as much as I have :D. Jess, time and time again you always manage to surprise me with your outfits. You really blew me away with this one however and I'm incredibly proud of you! I don't know how you can top this but knowing you, I'm betting you can :D <3. Enjoy the pictures guys!

Photo by Jason Chau Photography
Photo by Saffels Photography
Photo by J. Haas Photography 
Photo by The Kaigan
Photo by Dave Yang Photography
Photo by David Ngo
Photo by Martin Wong
Photo by Saffels Photography
Photo by Carlos G Photography
Photo by Beethy Photography
Photo by Martin Wong
I apologize if this didn't seem to cover everything but I've got a link to Jessica's video she uploaded and she does a much better job explaining it than I did! Also included are links to her page (if for some reason you haven't liked it already!) and Zach Fischer's Illustration page! Please check them out and support their amazing stuff! Hope you enjoyed this :)
https://www.facebook.com/OfficialJessicaNigri
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_wTqxHTXIE
https://www.facebook.com/ZFillustration

What's Popular?