Skip to main content

Latest Podcast Episode

Featured

Shutting One Door, Keeping others Open

UPDATED ON 8/20/21: Facebook, Patreon and Blog IG pages have been shutdown/discontinued As the COVID pandemic rages on and cons are even shutting down into 2021, it got me thinking on a drive home one night about how I'd feel with even coming back to blogging. When cons eventually do come back at some point. Truth be told, many of the posts and content I shared here could be transferred over to more discussions via my podcast CosplayBytes. I've been blogging my love for games, cons and cosplay for 7 years now and maybe it's time to say goodbye for now? My podcast has gotten me some incredible opportunities as a member of Press for conventions, and the rapid love I've had for streaming is also taking up a lot of time now. On top of multiple personal things on my end, I don't think I have the energy to keep this up even post COVID you know? The very first cosplay centered post I wrote was on Jessica Nigri's Deadpool, and since then it's spawned over 800 posts

Cosplayer Interview: Ultra Girls Cosplay

Photo by JStiles Photography
I've got another interview for you guys today with the lovely duo of Sophii and Cissa! Together they're known as Ultra Girls Cosplay and trust me when i say this guys, they've got big things in store :). Both Sophii and Cissa are life long friends stationed in Kansas who just recently decided to merge their individual pages together. This was done basically in hopes of marketing themselves together as a package for both promotional gigs as well as being cosplay guests! Out of the 2 of them, you all have seen Sophii before in my feature on her Harley Quinn cosplay a few months ago. Cissa has spent the most time cosplaying with a stunning number of 10 years! Sophii started out after she was taken to A-Kon in 2010. Having been a nerd at heart for most of her life, Sophii caught the cosplaying bug and found the community to be incredibly heartwarming and friendly.

The last convention the Ultra Girls attended was Planet Comic Con over in their home state. At the convention they spent most of their time working a table rather than being guests. For both of them it was definitely a different experience. For the convention, they both brought out DC cosplays with Sophii being Wonder Woman and Cissa as Batgirl. Both of these outfits were a blast to work on according to them. They still stick to the comic book side when talking about their favorite cosplays with Cissa's Raven from Teen Titans and Sophii's Lady Deadpool!


In terms of promotion, the girls have worked with Ichico Comics on numerous times for things like a Magic the Gathering tournament as well as working their table at the last convention which I mentioned above. Sophii and Cissa aren't stopping their creative brains anytime soon too! Cissa has Morrigan from Darkstalkers along with a Female Nightwing in the works (Nightwing fan = YAY from me :D). To compliment Morrigan, Sophii is working on Felicia from the same game and a Female Roxas from Kingdom Hearts!

So yea based on those outfits the girls have automatically got my support 100% :). This was definitely an interesting interview as I was getting double answers for most of the questions! I really hope you guys enjoy this. They're both such sweet girls with a lot of passion behind the cosplays they make <3
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. What got you into cosplay and how long have you been doing it? 
Cissa: I've been cosplaying for about 10 years. I used to watch a lot of anime with friends, and when I went to my first convention, I saw the cosplayers and thought it looked like so much fun. Eveyone was so nice and accepting. I decided the next con I went to, I'd have a costume. I've been cosplaying ever since!
Sophii: I've always been a huge nerd but I've only been cosplaying for about 5 years! Cissa actually took me to A-Kon in Dallas in 2010, everyone else was dressing up so I did it too. The environment was electric and everyone was so incredibly friendly, I was hooked!

2.  What was the first cosplay you ever created?
Cissa: My first cosplay was Kagome from Inuyasha. I wore it to the second Anime Festival Wichita.
Sophii: I don't even know what you'd call it haha. It was an old racer Halloween costume I had, some tights, yellow boots and a yellow bra. It was such short notice that I didn't have time to do anything super cool, but. 

3. Thinking back to the last convention you both were at, did you enjoy it?
It was Planet Comicon in Kansas City! It was loads of fun! It was our first convention actually working a table instead of just being guests. It was nice to see that different aspect. 

4. What cosplay did you bring to this convention?
Cissa: I was Batgirl!
Sophii: I was my idol, Wonder Woman

Photo by Steve Gracy Photography
5. What is your favorite cosplay you've made so far?
Cissa: Raven from Teen Titans. I just love her so much, and it was a really fun costume to wear.
Sophii: Lady Deadpool, she's such a badass and it's the one I am most recognized for. 

6. What got you into being a geek?
Cissa: Neopets. Haha. I used to get on the forums and I would just talk to people and roleplay. I learned about different fandoms and started gaining an interest in different shows and games. It was my life. Most of my friends were online for the longest time. 
Sophii: Oh man, Pokemon! I can't explain the level of obsession I experienced. I used to cry because I wasn't Ash Ketchum. 

7.  Do you have any other family members who are into what you enjoy? Or are you at present the only "geek" in the family?
Cissa: I'm the only one! They are always supportive, even if they don't understand why I'm wearing a superhero costume in public.
Sophii: I am the only one, too. But my whole family absolutely adores what I do. My grandpa is always sharing my cosplay pics on Facebook!

8. So you both came together after having your individual pages for a little while. Being incredibly close friends on top of living close by, did it just make sense for you both to merge into one page to promote yourself for conventions?
Cissa: It did! We are best friends. We both have the same goal in mind, so joining together seemed like the best move. Plus, we like to think of ourselves as a package deal. I don't want to do anything exciting without Sophii by my side.
Sophii: Awh! What Cissa said! Word! :)
 
Photo by Tahnee Lane Photography
9. Sophii, I really enjoyed your Wonder Woman cosplay you made recently! You capture her so well with the poses. What was the process like making that outfit? The colors really pop!
It was so last minute! But Wonder Woman is my idol, I have a huge Wonder Woman collection. I decided to make her two weeks before Planet Comicon, the armor was my absolutely favorite part to make as I am obsessed with making armor since I did it the first time with Sorin. I'm glad the colors popped, that was my goal! I wanted her to look cartoony but with some battle damage - hence the boots. That actually didn't work out too well in the end, haha.

10. Cissa, you made Batgirl for the same convention! You did such a fantastic job with the body suit. What was it like creating that cosplay?
I actually didn't know I'd be able to attend the convention. I was supposed to be going on a trip, but it got canceled last minute. So I made Batgirl in two days. I pulled an all nighter finishing it. I love the colors, so I was really excited that I got it together.

11. Another cosplay you both did together were characters from Magic the Gathering. The photo shoot pictures look incredible and the editing really makes the photos look beautiful! Both outfits look as if different techniques were used for each of your cosplays! Could you go into more detail about how you made them?
Cissa: The armor for mine was made out of craft foam, and I used clay for the teeth. I wanted everything to have a worn leather feel to it, so I pieced together faux leather for the corset and skirt details. 
Sophii: I think Sorin is my favorite to date! It was my first time making armor and I used craft foam as well, painted it, sealed it and then spray painted it to get it metallic. The breast armor was the funnest thing to do! I actually just took a bra, cut it to be the right shape and then sealed it and sprayed it until it was solid. I'm so happy it turned out so well. Bras make great breast armor haha. 
 
Photo by JStiles Photography
12. What made you choose Magic the Gathering? 
We are a part of Ichigo Comics, a collaborative group of artists, and were invited to cosplay at a MTG tournament at Wizard's Asylum Comics in Wichita, KS. It was a change to actually be told something we should cosplay, instead of just doing whatever we wanted. It pushed us out of our comfort zone, and it turned out great.

13. What do you think about cosplay now that it's hitting the mainstream?
The more the merrier! Cosplay is fun, and it has brought us together with so many wonderful people. I love that other people are taking notice.

14. Do you have any upcoming cosplays for this year that you're able to share?
Cissa: Right now I'm working on Morrigan from Darkstalkers. Then I'll be making female Nightwing. I'm also hoping to finish my Stocking cosplay.
Sophii: I'm working on Felicia from Darkstalkers and let me tell you, styling that wig is NO JOKE! After that I'll be working on a Fem Roxas from KH2 and also a Power Ranger - not sure which generation we are doing yet but their will be a big group of us at A-Kon this year!

15. Do you imagine cosplaying being a part of your life within the next 5 years and do you hope to evolve your skill set?
Cissa: I do! I want to cosplay as long as I can. It's so relaxing to me to be able to craft. I'm always looking for ways to get better.
Sophii: YES! I am so passionate about cosplay and I think it shows, I hope it shows. I often would worry about my age and continuing prior to this blowing up. But the more cosplayers I meet, the more I realized age absolutely does not matter!

16.What's a day in the life for the girls of Ultra Girls Cosplay?
Cissa: I work a full time job, so I'm usually working most days. After work, I spend a lot of my time crafting, or hanging with Sophii. Along with my wonderful boyfriend of course!
Sophii: Let me paint a perfect picture - Full time at the T-Mobile Call Center and then I come home and Cissa and I sit on the living room floor and work on cosplay while my Fiancé Sam and her boyfriend Matt play Destiny. This is absolutely typical, haha. 

17. How did you come up with the name?
We sat down and made a long list of words that we liked. We had words like "super" and "wonder", but we settled on "ultra". It makes us sound powerful, like superheroes! We definitely put our all into everything we do, and we want to project that.
 
Photo by Steve Gracy Photography
18. Any upcoming game releases you're looking forward to?
Cissa - I'm not a big gamer. I love playing strategy games and gaming with friends, but I spend most of my spare time crafting, reading, or watching shows. 
Sophii - I was SO excited for Final Fantasy Type 0, we got it anddddd I haven't had a moment to play it yet :( BUT KH3... nothing will get in the way of KH3. 

19. Do you have a favorite convention?
Cissa: A-Kon in Dallas Texas! I've gone every single year since I was 12. It gives me an excuse to have a fun road trip with friends. Watching the convention grow has been fun!
Sophii: A-Kon as well. There's so much energy and so many people. It's like a three day party for nerds! Seriously an experience I think every nerd and cosplayer should have, you'll never feel more at home than you do at A-Kon. 

20. So which one of you is a fan of Nightwing and why?
Cissa: I'm a fan! We both are. I'm really excited to start working on my Nightwing costume. I think it stems from my Teen Titans obsession. 
Sophii: I do enjoy Nightwing very much! 

Photo by Steve Gracy Photography

I hope you guys enjoyed getting to know Sophii and Cissa a lot more! I definitely plan on featuring their upcoming outfits! I'm really excited to see their work evolve even further. I definitely recommend checking them out. You can visit their pages here!

What's Popular?